July 30, 1891
At the meeting of the council last evening, D.W. Pampel made his report and recommendations for the new sewer lines of the town. One proposal would begin in North Street at the intersection of the alley with the canal and run south in the alley to the cemetery, then across the pike to the river. It would be 5,700 feet long. The other would be identical from the starting point as far as the alley south of Water Street, where it would turn east to Miami Street and the river. It would be 3,500 feet long. Pampel estimated that with a 20-inch sewer, this system would serve a population of 7,400 and possibly as high as 10,000 people. The estimated cost of the one with the lower outlet line is $4,073.24 and the upper line $2,338.21.
A ball game will be played tomorrow between two clubs from the mechanics of the Sebastian-May shop. The two clubs have named which befit them – “The Rahn Sluggers’ and “O’Kelley’s Killers”.
July 30, 1916
At least four lives were lost and property damage is estimated at $25,000,000 as a result of the explosion of an ammunition dump on Black Tom Island in the New York Harbor.
Misses Elizabeth Newhall, Ruth Wyatt, Helen Sexauer, Amanda Steinkemper and Harriett Wilson all members of the Alpha Sigma Alpha Sorority as students at Miami University, Oxford, have returned home from Paradise Island at Russells Point, where they had joined 18 other members of the sorority chapter for a week’s camping.
July 30, 1941
By a vote of five to two, members of Sidney City Council at its meeting last night turned down a proposal to install parking meters on the streets around the public square. Favorable votes were cast by Councilmen Miller and Waggoner, with Councilmen Douglas, McClure, Melvin, Minton and Wheeler voting in the negative.
State highway officials today were considering plans for a new bridge to replace the 90-foot south span of the Two-Mile Bridge over the Great Miami River on State Route 47, northeast of Sidney. The span collapsed yesterday afternoon, when a passenger car driven by Ross Driskell, 19, R.R. 4, Sidney was crossing it. Driskell and his two passengers escaped injury as the span settled into the river, but were forced to climb out a window of the car.
Workmen today were busy enlarging the aluminum bin on the north side of the public square. This became necessary when contributions from the rural area filled the original bin to overflowing. Plans are to double it in size.
July 30, 1966
Sixth grade should be the luckiest year of school for ten-year-old Beth Poppe of Botkins. Looking for four-leaf clovers in her back yard, she found 13. To add to her good fortune, the next clover she found was the five-leaf kind.
Beth is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Poppe. The clovers went to her friends except for a few she is saving, along with the five leaf clover, for good luck in the future.
Rev. Vincent G. Robers, 54, pastor of the Church of the Resurrection, 130 Graymont Avenue, Dayton, will arrive in Sidney August 9 to take over the duties of minister of Holy Angels Church.
Rev. Robers replaces the late Msgr. Edward C. Lehman, who died June 1.
July 30, 1991
The Sidney Christian School fund raising drive is going well. $176,000 has been raised against a goal of $300,000. The group is going to purchase the building on Kossuth Avenue they currently occupy. The announcement was made jointly by chairmen Dick Pope and Scott Hinsch. The school administrator is Vincent Ford.
A new school-business group has been formed. A recent change in Ohio law mandated the creation of local business advisory councils. Siney Schools have a counsel and the Shelby County Schools just announced a similar organization will be formed. The county BAC will have approximately 30 members.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org