BOTKINS – The Botkins Board of Education met Aug. 12 to hire new staff.
They board hired the following substitute teachers for the 2015-16 school year at a rate of $85 per day:
Deb Parker, Abby Borges, Donna Long, Casey Dietz, Rebecca Walters, Mariah Hoge, Betsy Spence, Mark Vaughn, Amber Turnmire, Kristen Hollis, Jeff Cummons, Lisa Albers, Kendra Berryman, Karen Christman, Jennifer Bumgarner, Chalene Hume, Erica Lyme, Janelle Lowry, Whitney Rogers, Stephanie Noble and Jennifer Duncum
They hired the following as substitute bus drivers:
Chad Berning, Dan Knoop, Ken Lemmon, Mike Free and Chad Steinke
The board hired Jody Marx as a substitute cafeteria worker and Lavelle Smith as the Driver’s Training Manager and Instructor per salary schedule.
They hired the following extracurricular positions per salary schedule for the 2015-16 school year:
• Katelyn Bayhan as an after-school tutor
• Becky Walters as an after-school tutor
• Jennifer VanSkyock as an after-school tutor
• Luanne Powell as a tutor during the day – 1 day a week
• Janice Locker as a tutor during the day – 2 days a week
• Rob Berryman as a gifted aide
The board approved Katelyn Bayhan as a student teacher in Mrs. Mangers’ 1st grade classroom and hired Brenda Tennant as an aide for a student.
They hired Cathy Bajwa as a volunteer nurse and Scott Schneider as a volunteer coach.
Donna Bogart was hired as a substitute cook, janitor and aide and Drew Kreitzer was hired as maintenance/custodian on a 1 year contract.
Brad Bergman was hired as the athletic director on a one year contract. They also hired Billie Homan as a counselor/special needs aide on a one year contract.
The board hired the following extracurricular positions per salary schedule for the 2015-16 school year:
• Jenni Doseck as Assistant Varsity Volleyball Coach
• Brad Bergman as JV Basketball Coach
• Andy Schneider as Assistant Varsity Girls Soccer Coach
In other business:
• They also discussed making their Trojan head mascot consistent because they said they all look different on their spirit wear, etc., and would like some uniformity.
• Superintendent Connie Schneider said they are currently burning copies of “The Trojan Journey: The Story of Botkins School” and if you’d like copies you may contact her with your request.
• The treasurer reported that the audit is going okay. She also presented the budget for the upcoming school year. She said they have more funds than last year because of income taxes, but still less than two years ago, but she’s still happy with the outlook.
• The board approved overnight trips for several student organizations and sports.
• They approved the kindergarten bus routes. There will be 54 kindergartners this year, and overall the enrollment is way up, according to Schneider. She said they had to turn away about 20 students, of all grades, seeking open enrollment.
• The board approved the bidding on a new school bus in the amount of $80,000.
• They approved athletic season passes at $85 for adults and $45 for students for the upcoming school year and reported that last year they made $4,690.
• Set the 2015-16 tuition rate for Botkins Local School as determined by Ohio Department of Education at $5,321.47.
The board also approved the following overnight stays:
• Cross Country trip to Eaton on Sept. 18 and 19.
• FFA trip to National Convention in Louisville, Kentucky, Oct. 28 though Oct. 31 .
• FCCLA to attend the Fall Leadership Conference in Marengo, Oct. 12 and 13.
Reach this writer at 937-538-4825; follow on Twitter @SDNAlexandraN