RUSSIA – The Russia Board of Education met Aug. 19 and hired staff for the 2015-16 school year. The board passed motions to:
• Employ the list of substitute teachers as submitted at a rate of $80 per day.
• Employ Rick Gold, Connie Brunswick, Kathy Bevans, Mark Youtz, Rachel Sullenberger, Doug Foster, Pat Burke and Ola Schafer as substitute teachers at a rate of $80 per day for the 2015-16 school year on an as-needed basis.
• Employ Patricia Clark as Senior Class Play Advisor at a rate of $956.
• Employ Ola Schafer as part time 8th Grade Physical Education Teacher on a supplemental contract at a rate of $2,700.
• Approve extended hours for Gay Booher at a rate of $18.33 per hour for the 2014-15 school year for yearbook purposes not to exceed 53 hours.
• Approve the following two days without pay for Jill Hemmelgarn: Thursday, December 3, 2015 and Friday, December 4, 2015.
• Approve Todd Acker on a purchased service contracted amount not to exceed $500 as a yearbook photographer for the 2015-16 school year.
• Employ Denise Hiatt, Lynn Drees, Kim Goubeaux, Tina Alt, Cheryl Scott, Angie Robinson, and Jessi Sherman as classified substitute aides at a rate of $74.35 per day for the 2015-16 school year on an as needed basis.
• Employ Carole Bruns, Denise Hiatt, Cheryl Scott, Kim Goubeaux, Angie Robinson, Lynn Drees, Jessi Sherman and Tina Alt as substitute cafeteria cooks at a rate of $67.42 per day for the 2015-16 school year on an as needed basis.
• Employ Deb Timmerman, Sheila Barhorst, Amy Quinter, Joan Homan, Cindy Goubeaux, Diane Magoto, Rachel Sullenberger and Sheila Magoto as vision therapy aides at a rate of $12 per hour for the 2015-16 school year on an as needed basis.
In other business they board passed motions to:
• Approve the tuition rate for the 2015-16 school year at $4,094.53.
• Approve the Driver’s Education Program with Fort Loramie Local Schools at a rate of $395 per student for the 2015-16 school year.
• Approve the staff handbook for the 2015-16 school year.
• Approve NEOLA Policy 5330.02 in regards to Epi-Pen use within the district.
• Acept a donation of $9,307.00 from the Russia Athletic Boosters to be used for the gym project.
The board also approved all the bills as submitted and the financial summary report, updated spending plan and three year spending plan were reviewed. The board also reviewed the 2014-2015 sick leave report.
Principal Karen Bensman reviewed upcoming dates and events for the start of the school year. Open house was held on Aug. 18 and the first day for students was Aug. 19. All went has went very well, she said.
Superintendent Steven Rose updated the board on the status of summer maintenance projects. All major items were complete and ready for the first day of school.
Starting in October, Russia has an opening for an classroom aide. Interested candidates should apply to Steve Rose at email@example.com.