FORT LORAMIE — Mondays at noon will soon get louder in Fort Loramie.
The village council learned during its regular meeting, Aug. 10, that the installation of a new tornado siren is complete. It is operational and it will be tested on Mondays at noon.
The council also learned that village park employees are working nine-hour days to get renovations to Canal Park finished in time for German Heritage Days. The festival committee paid for half the cost of sod and volunteers installed it.
It was decided that a timeline should be developed for the creation of the new Redskin Park.
In other reports, the council learned that tax receipts through July are up 5.8 percent from last year, that the Elm-W. Main-Water Street project is complete, a new website is operational and that Police Chief would like to attend the 10-week FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia. The Police Committee thinks his attendance could benefit the village.
The council gave second reading to an ordinance controlling the type of trees that can be planted in curb lawns.
In other business, the council:
• Approved payments to Tom’s Construction of $122,113.27 for Elm, Water, W. Main, and Middle streets improvements and of $36,675 for cutting a swale, knocking down high spots and installing a 24-inch storm main in the Redskin Memorial Park.
• Accepted bids for grading in Redskin Park and awarded the contract to Braun Excavating.
• Discussed changes that are needed to the village income tax ordinance due to the passage of Ohio HB 5, tax code violation penalties and the possibility of establishing a tax review board.
• Referred to the planning board a request by Ellen and Dan Wehrman to annex to the village for water.
• Voted to close the village’s US Bank account for utility payments.
• Approved the transfer of $2,382 for insurance renewal.
• Discussed whether the village needs to carry health insurance for full- and part-time employees.
• Discussed the need to better secure the entrance to the village offices.
• Discussed the problem of starlings in the village.
• Went into executive session to discuss the sale of property.
Reach the writer at 937-538-4824. Follow her on Twitter @PASpeelmanSDN.