RUSSIA — On Nov. 12, 2016, Superior Aluminum Products celebrated 50 years of local ownership by holding a ceremony on location.
Superior Aluminum was started in 1956 in Youngstown, Ohio, by Lou Bert and Lou Hermann. The two Lou’s originally manufactured aluminum storm windows and screens before getting into the railing business in 1960. After the unfortunate death of Lou Hermann, Superior Aluminum was purchased by local proprietors Tom Francis and Ed Borchers on Nov. 12, 1966.
Tom and Ed proceeded to move the company to its current home in Russia. Throughout the years in Russia, the duo worked tirelessly to introduce new products and continue to expand their business from its humble five-employee beginnings to a premier brand name in the aluminum railings, columns, and fence industry. The leadership, work ethic, and dedication to customers of these two men became the foundation to get where they are today.
The Nov. 12 ceremony was led by Doug Borchers, current President of Superior Aluminum Products. Doug led the crowd through a toast to the accomplishments of Tom and Ed, a speech by Tom’s oldest son Bill Francis (President of Francis Manufacturing) of his recollections of his Dad’s early plans for the business, followed by a speech from Ed Borchers himself.
The ceremony also contained a background slideshow featuring Superior Aluminum people, products, and memories celebrating their 50 years in Russia. At the conclusion of the event, another son of Tom’s, Patrick Francis, who is a Vice-President of Superior Aluminum, revealed a special plaque.
This plaque honored Tom and Ed’s devotion, and was hung in the main entryway of the Superior offices in a dedication ceremony as the newly-named “Tom Francis and Ed Borchers Lobby”.