RUSSIA — The Russia Local School Board of Education met Wednesday night to hire staff and discuss finances.
The board approved the employment of the following:
• The list of substitute teachers as presented at a rate of $80 per day for the 2015-16 school year on an as-needed basis.
• Ashley Roberts as a substitute teacher at a rate of $80 per day for the 2015-16 school year on an as-needed basis.
• Bart Doseck, Jana Salisbury and Andrea Raterman as Resident Educator Mentors at an annual rate of $500 for the 2015-16 school year.
• Marcus Petitjean and Eric Sullenberger as Lego Robotics Coaches pending grant funding and sufficient student participation at an annual rate of $478 each for the 2015-16 school year.
• Cierra Saintignon as co-Power of the Pen Advisor at an annual salary of $319 for the 2015-16 school year.
• Angie Lachat as a library aide at a rate of $11.60 per hour on an as needed basis for the 2015-16 school year.
• Diane Magoto for extended library time at a rate of $12.50 per hour on an as needed basis for the 2015-16 school year.
• Keith Bohman and Dale Alt as volunteer bowling coaches.
• Brad Heaton as varsity girls track coach at a salary of $2,231.
• Dan Schafer as varsity boys track coach at a salary of $2,454.
• Kevin Phlipot as varsity boys baseball coach at a salary of $2,868.
• Aaron Monnin as assistant varsity baseball coach at a salary of $956.
• Denny Monnin as JV boys baseball coach at a salary of $1,593.
• Kyle Schafer as 7th grad boys basketball coach at a salary of $1,402.
• Adam York as 8th grade boys basketball coach at a salary of $1,275.
• Jamie Herron as JV/Varsity assistant softball coach at a salary of $1,593.
New staff members, Patricia Clark, Michelle Huber, Cierra Saintignon and Andy Timmerman were present to introduce themselves. They reported that their school year is off to a great start.
In finances, the board approved bills as they were submitted, reviewed the financial summary report, updated spending plan and three-year spending plan were reviewed. They also approved appropriations for fiscal year 2015, totaling $6,030,824.09.
Superintendent Steve Rose updated the board on the status of current enrollment. Enrollment is declining due to larger classes graduating than are currently enrolling.
He also discussed updates to Russia Local School Emergency Operations Plan as required by ODE/Homeland Security. This plan will be ready for review and approval at the October meeting.
The board approved Carrie Schulze as staff representative for the 8th grade overnight class trip to Washington DC from Oct. 20-25.
They also accepted a donation of $7,500 from the Tom and Corrine Francis Family for scholarship purposes.