SIDNEY — Members of the Shelby County Agricultural Society will consider whether or not to allow beer sales during the county fair.
Initial discussions of the possiblity took place during the fair board’s regular meeting, Feb. 15. The idea was tabled for further consideration in March.
In other business, the board:
• Approved a measure to borrow $154,000 from First National Bank in New Bremen against pledges made for the construction of a new grandstand on the fairgrounds. Construction could start as early as March and the grandstand must be finished by June 1.
• Approved a contract with the Sidney Daly News in the amount of $12,000 for marketing of the fair in print, website, Facebook, Twitter and geotargeting platforms.
• Voted to allow cane rack games at the fair in 2017.
• Heard a report from the Junior Fair Capital Improve Committee concerning the construction of a rabbit and chicken barn on the fairgrounds. Fort Recovery Lumber will build the 50-foot by 72-foot structure at a cost of $26,150.
• Received a presentation by Aaron Heilers about the future of the fairgrounds in the next five to 20 years, if funding were available.
• Heard a report about interviews that recently took place of candidates for the open extension agent position in Shelby County.
Reach the writer at 937-538-4824.