Feb. 25, 1892
The question of Sidney being advanced to a city seems to have dropped out of the canvas this spring. We are of the opinion that our city expenses would not be advanced one cent than they are now, if we were made a city. There can be no question but it would be of advantage to the growth of our population and business to take rank as a city.
Prof. J.M. Sanders, electrician and A. Underwood, chief lineman of the Western Union Telegraph Co., both of Indianapolis are here to put up the six electric clocks. Sidney will have official time after this week.
100 Years Ago
Feb. 25, 1917
Plans for the manufacture of candy in Sidney were announced today by Evan Johnson, proprietor of the Purity Confectionery store. He has resigned his position as a traveling salesman for Davidson Candy Co.. Mr. Johnson has rented three large rooms on the sixth floor of the Oldham building for the manufacture of the candy. He will move the operations from the Purity basement to the new location. Johnson also operates a confectionery store in Oxford, Ohio.
Postmaster Lee received orders from Washington this morning instructing him to move the post office from its present location to the new building at Ohio avenue and North street Wednesday night and be ready to operate Thursday morning. The new building is practically complete except for the heating plant. Radiators damaged in shipment and returned to the factory for repairs have not yet arrived. This will delay operating the office for public inspection.
75 Years Ago
State Selective Service headquarters in Columbus today announced the resignation from W.R. Anderson as chairman of the Shelby County Selective Service board, effective March 1. Anderson has served as chairman of the board since it was organized in October 1940. Other members of the board, also with continuous service are Emerson Deam, William Milligan, C.M. Fogt and Frank Smith.
The allocation of tires and tubes for Shelby county for March announced today in Columbus shows a quota of 24 tires and 18 tubes for passenger cars, and 84 tires, 36 retreads, and 94 tubes for trucks and busses.
50 Years Ago
Feb. 25, 1967
Harry Meyer, son of Mr. and Mrs. Hugo Meyer, was formally presented with the Eagle Badge in a court of honor held on Scout Sunday as part of the morning worship service at the First Methodist Church.
With the mercury expected to dip to zero tonight and possibly below again, area residents face another cold night. Temperatures dipped to six below zero at the Daily News weather station this morning for some of the coldest weather of the season.
25 Years Ago
Feb. 25, 1992
Dressed as a teacher from the 1850’s and 60’s recently instructed her special studios class at Bridgeview Middle School. Calling herself Mrs. Duckworth, Mrs. DeVelvis taught in the manner of a teacher of more than a century ago would have, enabling students to learn about manners and morals of that era.
Fairlawn High School senior Wendi Huelskamp, the player of the year in the Shelby County League volleyball last fall has been invited to play for the Continental Teams U.S.A. for the “92” Summer European Volleyball Tour,. Miss Huelskamp was a first team selection to the all-District 9 team in addition to being SCL player of the year, In addition she was also named to the all Dayton Area first team and was a first team all-state selection. She was also named Fairlawn’s most valuable player.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org