March 13, 1892
If a bill in the Legislature becomes a law, all of the counties in Ohio will have a chance to vote for or against local option in the election to be held in November.
A plague of peddlers is one of the things Sidney people have to contend with now. Some females, who claim to be Arabians, are intent on compelling the people to buy snide jewelry, second hand combs and ancient notions. They force their way into houses and if a sale is not made they become violent. In several cases they have placed their hands on the heads of children and called down God’s curse upon them, their mother and the home.
DeGraff is considering a proposition to put in an electric light plant, and is discussing the advisability of using 32-candle power lights for the streets, which cost $1 a month to light.
March 13, 1917
Sidney was cut off from telephone communication with the outside world today as a result of the ice storm last night that cut long distance telephone lines. There was heavy damage to power and telephone lines throughout the city and county and tree limbs were snapped off at many locations. Estimating its loss at $10,000 the Sidney Home Telephone Co. reported 600 phones out of order in the city and 300 more in the rural area. The Farmers Telephone Co. reported between 300 and 400 phones out of service. Transportation over the Western Ohio Traction line was disrupted by broken limbs falling on power lines and across the tracks.
The matter of creating a park of the city property across from the Graceland cemetery was discussed at some length be members of city council at their meeting last evening. Although there appeared to be considerable sentiment in favor of the move, no definite action was taken.
Ellis Runyon, who has been connected with the fire department for the past several years, has tendered his resignation, effective Mar. 15.
March 13, 1942
W.A. Trimpe, coordinator of the Sidney defense council, announced at noon today that already 20 registrations have been received in the volunteer enrollment for civilian defense. Registration will continue until 10 o’clock tonight and tomorrow and Saturday in the city building.
The problem of low farm prices and departure of young farmers for manufacturing plants were emphasized by State Grange Master Paul McNish, when he spoke last night at the fifth annual Shelby county grange banquet held at the First Methodist Church. C.N. Duckworth was general chairman for the affair.
A detailed report of improvements at Graceland cemetery was given members of city council at a meeting last night with members of the city park commission and the special cemetery committee. Although members of council expressed approval of the work that has been done, objections were voiced to the removal of trees along the west side of the cemetery.
The ninth annual Easter seal sale for crippled children opens today under the sponsorship of the Sidney Rotary club. George Gagoudy is chairman of the local effort.
March 13, 1967
Ten businesses and community leaders will make up the delegation of the Sidney Chamber of Commerce attending the Fourth Biennial Legislative conference in Columbus on Wednesday. The delegation will be led by President Robert Sargeant and Robert Mays, heading the chamber’s legislative Action committee. Others planning to attend include: Mark Wells, Roger McGee, superintendent of the Sidney City Schools; City Manager John Dulles, Sam Milligan, Frohman Johnson, executive manager, all from Sidney; Dean Yeasel and Arthur Sprague, Jackson Center, and Murray Elsass of Botkins.
Sidney Jaycees were awarded second place in the state for their January program on Jaycee Week during the all-state meeting of the Ohio Jaycees held in Columbus over the weekend. The local group was in competition with communities of 15,000 to 50,000 population. Four members of the Sidney Jaycees were among the approximately 1,000 in attendance. They included Jim Davis, president; Don Lochard, district III chairman; Ed Wical, acting state trustee, and John Keysor.
NEW BREMEN – After approximately 40 years in the garage and service station business here, Ralph Fogt retired this past week, selling the Fogt Service Station, 329 South Washington street, to William Meyer, R.R. 1, Fort Loramie. Fogt came to New Bremen from Kettlersville and with a partner built and operated a garage and service station. Disposing of that operation in 1942, he purchased another station at Main and Monroe streets. He continued this operation until 1947 and the following year built the station he operated until this week.
March 13, 1992
The Village of Anna and the Anna local schools have reached an agreement concerning the installation of water and sewer lines on the north side of the village. The agreement was reached in light of the new elementary school building finished up. Superintendant Charles Rhyan announced an agreement with village officials. The cost of the new 12 inch lines will be borne by the school board and the village in a percentage worked out among them. In related news, Caryll Anderson was sworn in for another four year term by Mayor Harold Shue.
Local businessman Jim Freytag is resisting efforts by the Ohio Bureau of Employment Services to appear and produce records for money allegedly due for his business, Freytag Masonry. His counsel also filed a motion for a protective order. OBES counsel is asking for him to produce records concerning his business operations.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org