FORT LORAMIE — Fort Loramie residents will be limited to planting only small trees on their curb lawns, following action by the Fort Loramie Village Council during its regular meeting Sept. 14.
The council gave final reading to and accepted an ordinance that will control what types of trees can be planted in the green spaces between sidewalks and street curbs in the village.
In other action, the council:
• Gave first reading to an ordinance that would change village income taxes due to the passage of Ohio HB 5, set tax code violation penalties and establish a tax review board.
• Approved the hire of police officer Jonathan Gilbert, as he has successfully completed his one-year probationary period on the force.
• Approved rates of $5 per resident for 80 residents of Newport who will be connected to the Fort Loramie sanitary sewer connection at the request of the Shelby County Sewer District and approved a tap fee of $10,000 to be paid by the county.
• Heard a report from the Park Committee that it had met with the Football Committee concerning layout of a football field and buildings in Redskin Park.
• Heard a report from the Streets and Sanitation Committee that it is investigating if a traffic light is needed at Greenback Road and State Route 66.
• Approved payments to Tom’s Construction in the amounts of $25,575.20 and $190,379.51 for work on the Elm, Water, West Main and Middle streets improvements.
• Approved a payment to Braun Excavating of $45,015 forwork completed in Redskin Memorial Park.
• Discussed using Miami County Department of Development for building permits.
• Approved renewing village health care insurance at a monthly rate of $3,711.11, an 8.8 percent increase.
• Set Trick or Treat for Nov. 1 from 4 to 5:30 p.m. and a police and safety meeting for Sept. 28 at 7:30 p.m.
• Accepted a donation by Minster Supply of four park benches for use in Canal Park and authorized Tony Schmitmeyer to select the benches.
• Went into executive session to discuss employee negotiations. No action was taken following the session.
Reach the writer at 937-538-4824. Follow her on Twitter @PASpeelmanSND.
Source: Unapproved meeting minutes