Leaking lawnmower causes fire


LOCKINGTON — A fire caused by a leaking fuel line on a lawnmower caused a fire that destroyed a barn Sunday afternoon.

The fire destroyed the barn and its contents at 937 Miami Conservancy Road, Lockington Fire Chief Jon Adams said. He said the resident had been mowing and the fire began after the mower was put away. Adams urged people to “check the fuel line” before putting up equipment.

Adams estimated the loss at $28,000 for the barn and its contents, which included tools in addition to the lawnmower. No one was injured in the fire.

According to Shelby County Auditor’s Office property records, 937 Miami Conservancy Road is owned by Thomas and Lori DeBrosse.

Firefighters were called blaze at 4:25 p.m., according to the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office. Firefighters remained on the scene about two hours, Adams said. In addition to Lockington firefighters, also responding were firefighters from Houston, Port Jefferson and Sidney. Houston Rescue also responded.