DAYTON – The Dayton Power and Light Company Foundation announced $1,429,500 in grants, including 12 Power Grants totaling $924,000, to area partner organizations.
Collectively, these grants support new or continued innovative growth initiatives to create a long-lasting difference for the people and communities in the Dayton region.
“As the largest corporate foundation in the Dayton region where every dollar stays local, we proudly continue our longstanding tradition of community involvement during this coronavirus pandemic,” Director Community and Corporate Social Responsibility Holly Wiggins said. “The DP&L Foundation’s commitment to our community is to award sustainable and impactful grants to support needs today and provide a path forward for future generations. Congratulations to the DP&L Foundation Power Grant recipients and all our grantees whose hard work, dedication and passion drive community building and make the Dayton region a great place to live, work and play.”
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the DP&L Foundation Board was intentional about supporting community institutions affected by the pandemic. The board also directed additional grants across multiple organizations whose purposes range from meeting basic needs to empowering those who are socially and economically disadvantaged in the communities.
Collectively, these projects will help to transform the landscape of the Dayton region – attracting businesses, fueling growth and improving the quality of life. In the last eight years, The DP&L Foundation has awarded 94 Power Grants and one Community Power Grant totaling more than $7.1 million to local, community partner organizations.
The 12 recipients of the 2020 DP&L Foundation Power Grants are:
• American Red Cross Miami Valley Chapter – $50,000 power grant to support disaster relief services in the region, including Home Fire Campaign.
• Boonshoft Museum of Discovery/Dayton Society of Natural History – $50,000 to power science education with improved in-person and virtual educational content and programming in the Science Theatre and Do Lab designed for students, teachers and families.
• Boys and Girls Club of Dayton – $50,000 to support repairs and updates to the 60-year-old west Dayton facility with a focus on digital inclusion and exposure to STEM and technology.
• Daybreak – $50,000 to support the new Drop-in Engagement Center within the Opportunity Zone used to provide emergency, drop-in and engagement services for homeless young adults living in the St Vincent DePaul adult shelters plus agency operations of emergency assistance, shelter and job training programs.
• Dayton Art Institute – $160,000 lighting of the museum exterior and Historic Hillside restoration.
• Dayton Live (formerly Victoria Theatre Association) – $85,000 to support operations and programming of the Arts Annex.
• Dayton Performing Art Alliance – $130,000 partnering to power innovation in the performing arts and expand the digital storytelling capacities of DPAA and continue as the title sponsor of the Family Series.
• Omega Community Development Corporation – $50,000 funding for The Hope Center for Families, which will assist in education, work training and health and wellness support for West Dayton families.
• United Way of Greater Dayton – $120,000 upholding more than 100 years of support to UW for education, income and health programs provided to the community through the LIVE UNITED Fund.
• University of Dayton – $54,000 to continue funding the University of Dayton Statehouse Civic Scholars and DC Flyers Student Intern programs, supporting interns since 2014.
• Wright State University – $75,000 funding alternate energy projects, degree completion and student success in the colleges of Business and Engineering & Computer Science.
• YWCA Dayton –$50,000 for expansion of racial justice and outreach programs (Girls LEAD and AMEND Together youth programs) and capital for building renovations.
For more information about investments The DP&L Foundation makes in the community, visit the foundation’s website at https://www.dpandl.com/About-DPL/Community/.