Early morning fire damages duplex


Staff report



Workers board up garages and put plastic over the roof of a house which caught fire early Thursday morning, Jan. 19, on Apollo Street.

Workers board up garages and put plastic over the roof of a house which caught fire early Thursday morning, Jan. 19, on Apollo Street.


Luke Gronneberg | Sidney Daily News

SIDNEY — No one was injuried during an early morning house fire Thursday in Sidney.

At 1:32 a.m., Sidney firefighters were dispatched to a report of a structure fire at 335 Apollo St., Sidney. The structure is a single-story duplex and is owned by Marlene Peltier and managed by KJT Properties. The structure is occupied by Dylan Kendall and Morgan Suttles, 335 Apollo, and Chad Johns, 333 Apollo.

During the response, Sidney police officers on the scene confirmed the home had a large volume of fire coming from the roof. The occupants had evacuated the structure prior to the arrival of the police officers. A box alarm was called to recall all off-duty Sidney Fire personnel and mutual aid was received from Anna and Lockington Fire Department’s for manpower.

When Sidney firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke and fire coming from the garage and attic of the home. Firefighters battled the well-involved fire for approximately one hour before it was brought under control. Vectren and DP&L were called to the scene to secure the utilities to the structure.

The home received heavy fire damage to the entire structure. Damage was estimated at $150,000 to the structure and $70,000 to the contents. Firefighters were on the scene for approximately four hours.

The cause of the fire has been determined by the Sidney/Shelby County Fire Investigation Unit to be accidental in nature.

There were no reported injuries to civilians or firefighters during the firefighting operations.

The occupants of both units are being assisted by Red Cross.

Workers board up garages and put plastic over the roof of a house which caught fire early Thursday morning, Jan. 19, on Apollo Street.
http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/47/2017/01/web1_SDN012017HouseFire-1.jpgWorkers board up garages and put plastic over the roof of a house which caught fire early Thursday morning, Jan. 19, on Apollo Street. Luke Gronneberg | Sidney Daily News

Staff report