Fire damages Main Avenue residence


Staff report



SIDNEY — The cause of a fire at 432 S. Main Ave. Tuesday evening as been ruled accidental by Sidney Fire Investigation team.

According to a press release from the Sidney Department of Fire & Emergency Services, the fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

The home sustained damages estimated at $20,000 to the structure and $10,000 for contents.

At approximately 6:10 p.m. Tuesday, the Sidney Department of Fire & Emergency Services was dispatched to the Main Avenue residence on a report of a structure fire. On arrival firefighters found a large, two-story duplex home with moderate smoke showing from all eaves.

Police officers on scene confirmed they saw a working fire in the attic when they were checking the home for occupants. A box-alarm was called which provided additional manpower from all off-duty personnel along with units from Anna and Lockington Fire Departments.

Crews were able to knock down the fire in the attic quickly and performed a search of both the upstairs and downstairs apartments. Crews remained on the scene for a couple of hours checking for fire extension and overhauling the attic space. DP&L and Vectren responded to the scene and secured utilities to the home.

The first floor occupants were allowed to return to their residence at the conclusion of the fire, while the second floor occupants made other temporary housing arrangements until repairs can be completed.

The upstairs residents were alerted of the fire by a working smoke detector and evacuated the structure before calling 911. The downstairs occupants were alerted and removed by Police officers before the arrival of the fire department.

No injuries were reported to civilians or firefighter during the firefighting operations.

Staff report