W.Va. woman sentenced to prison in shooting, police chase incident

By Jim Painter - For the Sidney Daily News



SIDNEY — The female companion of a West Virginia man imprisoned for 22 years for shooting at local deputies and other charges, herself received a prison term in Shelby County Common Pleas Court Thursday.

Ashley N. Wayson, 31, of Charleston, West Virginia, was sentenced to 12 months in the Marysville Reformatory for Women on a single charge of attempted obstruction of justice. She must serve at least six months of the sentence before becoming eligible for probation, according to court records. She was also fined $300 and court costs.

On Jan. 4, Wayson pleaded guilty to the amended charge that accused her of misleading Shelby County Sheriff’s deputies following shooting and vehicle chase incidents on Oct. 24, 2016. She was the passenger in a vehicle driven by Travis Wickline, 28, of Charleston, West Virginia, who opened fire when confronted by deputies.

On Jan. 6, Wickline received consecutive sentences for one count of felonious assault (10 years) with a specification (3 years), having weapons under disability (2 1/2 years), failure to comply with the order of a police officer (3 years), and grand theft auto (1 year and 5 months) with a specification (3 years).

Several other counts against him were dismissed as part of a plea agreement.

Immediately following his sentencing, local deputies transported Wickline to authorities in West Virginia, where he faced charges for aggravated assault with a weapon.

Shortly after 11 p.m. Oct. 24, Wickline carjacked a woman by yielding a firearm in the Hidden Valley Trailer Park in Pasco, and then fled the area. As deputies were responding to the call, the stolen vehicle was spotted on state Route 29.

As a deputy conducted a felony traffic stop and ordered the driver to show his hands and open the car door, Wickline exited the vehicle and fired six shots. The deputy returned fire, shooting at the vehicle three times. Wickline then fled in the stolen vehicle.

The pursuit continued with three deputies trying to stop the vehicle, at times reaching speeds in excess of 100 mph. Wickline returned to the trailer park, where his vehicle struck a cruiser, disabling it, causing injury to the deputy.

Wickline fled the scene, and while on state Route 29, he stopped, and let Wayson out of the vehicle. She was arrested a short time later.

Wickline continued westbound on state Route 29 where he turned around, went off the south side of the road, and purposely drove into the woods. He then fled the area on foot leading law enforcement on a manhunt where K-9s and a helicopter were used in the search.

After reportedly interviewing Wayson, they obtained enough information to identify Wickline as the driver of the vehicle, and that Wayson and Wickline had been staying with Wickline’s parents in the trailer park. Contact was made at the residence and Wickline was arrested without incident around 4 a.m. the next morning.


By Jim Painter

For the Sidney Daily News

The writer is a regular contributor to the Sidney Daily News.

The writer is a regular contributor to the Sidney Daily News.