SIDNEY — Two board members who have served a combine 20 years for the Sidney City Schools were recognized Monday night during their final meeting as their term of office comes to a close.
Kelly Rees, who has served for 12 years, and Darrell Spangler, who has been on the board for eight years, were thanked by Superintendent John Scheu and Board President Bill Ankney for their service to the district.
“Kelly and Darrell, this is your last board meeting,” said Scheu. “I’ve served with you for five years and you’ve served extremely ably over the years. You’ve both held leadership roles on the board and served during extremely hard times.
“You will be missed,” said Scheu.
Ankney seconded Scheu’s remarks.
“You’ve weathered the highs and lows,” said Ankney. “I think we’ve had good times overall.
“Not many people step up to the plate to be a board member,” he said. “Every step you’ve taken has been in the best interest of the district and the students. I’ve enjoyed the six years I’ve been with you on the board.”
During the meeting, the board:
• Approved a motion to enter into an agreement with The Interlocal Purchasing System (TIPS) to participate in a cooperative purchasing program. TIPS works with Cotterman & Company and all payments to the company are made through TIPS. “There’s no cost to us associated with it,” said Treasurer Mike Watkins.
• Approved a bid from Cotterman & Company for roof replacement of Areas 9 and 12 and roof hatch replacement at Sidney High School for a total cost of $110,262.11. “The roof is leaking,” said Watkins. “We had two options — put $14 grand into repairs this year or $100 grand next year.” The best option, said Watkins, is to do the work this year instead of next year when it was planned for.
• Approved a purchased service agreement for Nathan McClain as a school security substitute at $15.50 per hour. “If an SRO is absent,” said Scheu, “Sheriff John Lenhart provides backup for us. We’ve never been without an officer in a building. I’m very thankful for that.”
• Accepted a $200 donation from board member Robert Smith and a $100 donation from board member Paul Heins for the Board/Administration Scholarship Fund.
• Employed Eric Harlament as a substitute teacher at $90 per day.
• Employed Scott Cromes as a bus driver at $16.24 per hour and Amy Blust as a bus aide at $14.63 per hour. Both received one-year contracts.
• Employed Tom Wisener on a one-year limited, as-needed contract to work athletic events per OHSAA guidelines.
• Employed John Wolfinger on a one-year-limited, as-needed supplemental contract to serve as the 2016 girls basketball sectional tournament director at a rate determined by the OHSAA.
• Approved Brandon Edwards, Kelby Neeley, Holly Soder, Skylar Taylor, Casey Wolfe and Jerrid Younker for graduation with the Class of 2016 at the end of the first semester of the 2015-16 school year.
• Approved Upper Valley Career Center Satellite Family and Consumer Science curriculum additions at Sidney High School to include principles of food, nutrition and wellness, child development and personal financial management.
• Approved the eighth-grade trip to Washington, D.C., for May 22-27. The trip is for qualifying students and trip expenses will be paid by the students.
• Set the annual organizational meeting at the board of education building for Wednesday, Jan. 13, at 6 p.m.
• Appointed Eric Finke as president pro tem for the organizational meeting.
Reach the writer at 937-538-4822; follow her on Twitter @MelSpeicherSDN. Follow the SDN on Facebook, www.facebook.com/SidneyDailyNews.