RUSSIA — The Russia Local School Board of Education met for organization on Jan. 13 and nominated and elected Dee Kearns to be president of the board.
Doug Hoying was nominated and elected as vice president of the board. The treasurer swore in Kearns, Hoying and newest board member Brian Pinchot.
Mrs. Muhlenkamp and six students from her 6th grade class were present to give a presentation to the board regarding the possibility for the installation of a Gaga Court on the current playground. The board voted to install the Court on the playground in the spring.
During the organizational part of the meeting, the board also passed motions to:
• Establish a board service fund of $1,000 for 2015.
• Establish the Russia Local School Board of Education meeting dates for 2016 for the third Wednesday of each month, at 7 p.m., to be held in the Russia Local School Conference Room.
• Designate Dee Kearns as the Russia Board of Education’s legislative liaison to the O.S.B.A. during calendar year 2016.
• Designate Josh Francis and Chelsea Hoying as Student Achievement Liaison during calendar year 2016.
They designated board members to the listed standing committees for calendar year 2016:
Administrative Advisory Committee: Dee Kearns and Chelsea Hoying
Building and Grounds: Doug Hoying and Brian Pinchot
Finance and Negotiations: Doug Hoying and Josh Francis
A motion passed to approve the following standing authorizations:
• To secure advances from the Shelby County Auditor when funds are available and payable to the school district.
• To invest any active and inactive funds at the most productive interest rate, and to declare $100,000 of the General Fund Balance as inactive for the purpose of investing for periods longer than 1 year.
• To pay bills within the appropriation measure.
• In conjunction with the board president to borrow funds in anticipation of tax receipts.
• To employ such temporary personnel as needed for emergency situations.
• To serve as the district purchasing agent.
• To be the district Title IX Compliance Officer for the Russia Local School.
They also appointed Steven Rose and Karen Bensman as the Russia Local School Sexual Harassment officers.
Compensation for the Russia Board of Education members was set at $40 per meeting for calendar year 2016 with compensation not to exceed twelve meetings per year.
A motion passed to establish the mileage reimbursement rate at 43 cents per mile effective Jan. 1, 2016. The rate for regular special education drivers driving their personal vehicles will be 45 cents per mile effective Jan. 1, 2016.
Following the organizational meeting the board of education met in regular session.
Rose updated the board on the districts latest ranking as “Best School Districts for Your Buck in Ohio”.
He also updated the board on the maintenance of the facility. He also noted that the elementary computer lab has been replaced and all new computers are up and running.
The board passed a motion to employ Dana Cress and Joseph Sponseller as substitute teachers at a rate of $80 per day for the 2015-16 school year on an as needed basis.
They also approved the NEOLA Policies as discussed at the December meeting.
Rose reviewed the bus mileage with the board, comparing January 2015 to January 2016 and discussed the draft school calendar with the board for the 2016-17 school year which will be approved at the February board meeting.
They board accepted the following donations:
• $12,500 from the Francis Family Foundation for scholarship purposes.
• $3,000 from the Wayne Groff Family for scholarship purposes.
•$500 from the Dave and Ann Monnier Family for scholarship purposes.
• An anonymous donation of $1,000 which was used to purchase student computers.
Finally, Bensman reported on several upcoming events including assemblies, homecoming festivities, Washington DC trip for next fall, college credit plus meetings and senior class play performances.