SIDNEY — Eighth-grade girls basketball coach Dave King and his players shared their experiences about their season during Monday night’s Sidney City Schools Board of Education.
The team is 16-0 entering the GWOC tournament Saturday at Sidney Middle School. The game will start at 9 a.m. and they will be playing Centerville.
“Being undefeated is pretty special,” said King. “We’ve had several games where parents of the players on the other teams have told me how much we play as a team. They care about each other on and off the court. Each girl is on the honor roll so I don’t have to worry about that. Even when they’re sick, they come to school.
“It’s been an honor to coach them,” he said.
Middle school Principal Diane Voress said the parents and students fill the stands at each of the girls’ games.
In other business, the board:
• Accepted a $200 donation from Scheu to the Academia Team.
• Accepted donations to the Board/Administration Scholarship Fund from Scheu, $500; Mitch Hoying, $50; and Eric Finke, $100.
• Accepted the resignation due to retirement of Debra Ward, bus driver, effective Feb. 26.
• Employed Travis Weldy as head teacher at Sidney Alternative School at a prorated rate of $262 for the remaining 2015-16 school year.
• Hired Shaun Dunlap as home instruction tutor on a one-year limited contract at $24.43 per hour.
• Hired Sarah Ullery as an MD aid at $15.47 per hour effective Jan. 26, and Ron Monroe, bus driver at $17.44 per hour, effective Feb. 1. Both received one-year contracts.
• Hired Ron Monroe as a substitute bus driver at $14.62 per hour effective Jan. 21. His substitute status is no longer in effect as he was received a one-year contract to be a fulltime bus driver.
• Approved athletic supplemental contracts for Larry Jurosic, SMS wrestling coach, $1,758; Jim Roby, spring strength coach, $1,055; Wade New, head softball coach, $5,168; Laura Homan, junior varsity softball coach, $2,285; Chuck Westerbeck, freshman/varsity assistant softball coach, $1,758; Kerri Adkins, SMS softball coach, $1,406; Chalene Swank, SMS softball coach, $1,406; Terry Ward, JV baseball coach at 50 percent, $967; Kyle Coleman, JV baseball coach at 50 percent, $967; Frank Guillozet, freshman/varsity assistant baseball coach, $1,406; Sam Young, SMS baseball coach, $1,406; Jordan Ruppert, SMS baseball coach, $1,406; Evan Baker, head boys track coach, $3,516; Ruth Baker, head girls track coach, $3,516; Allan Egbert, SHS assistant track coach, $3,876; Joe Stockton, SHS assistant track coach, $1,143; Shane Kelley, SHS assistant track coach at 50 percent, $967; Brian Johnson, SHS assistant track coach, $1,934; Ian Klingler, SHS assistant track coach, $1,934; Frank Hall, SMS track coach, $3,322; Joe Spangler, SMS track coach, $3,164; and ShaRhonda Johnson, SMS track coach, $1,758.
The board’s next meeting will be Monday, Feb. 16, at 6 p.m. at the board of education building.
Reach the writer at 937-538-4822; follow her on Twitter @MelSpeicherSDN. Follow the SDN on Facebook, www.facebook.com/SidneyDailyNews.