RUSSIA — The Russia Board of Education met May 18 to hire staff and accept donations.
The board employed:
• The following on limited teaching contracts for the 2016-17 school year: Michael Fulk, one year; Michelle Muhlenkamp, one year; Chad Topp, one year; Luciano Tacuri, one year; Jennifer Wysocki, one year; Jill Schwieterman, one year; Shannon Langston, one year; Jana Salisbury, two years; Janel Slonkosky, one year; Tonya Slonaker, one year; Patricia Clark, one year; Shelby Pitsenbarger, one year; Andy Timmerman, one year; Cierra Santignon, one year; Michelle Huber, one year; Heidi Sherman, three years; Marcus Petitjean, one year retire/rehire.
• The following on classified contracts for the 2016-17 school year: Amber Cordonnier, athletic director, two years; Rodney Counts, maintenance supervisor, two years; Marcus Petitjean, tech director, one year.
• Kathy Bevans as a long term substitute teacher to cover maternity leave for Janel Slonkosky for the 2016-17 school year on an as needed basis.
• Sara Bostick as a one-on-one aide for the 2016-17 school year at an annual rate of $16,995.67.
• Joseph Thomas as an Extended Year Service Provider for the 2015-16 school year at a rate of $20 per hour on an as-needed basis not to exceed 15 hours.
• Julie Brown as an Extended Year Service Providor for the 2015-16 school year at a rate of $20 per hour on an as needed basis, not to exceed 30 hours.
• Jana Salisbury, Eric Sullenberger, and J. Shelby Pitsenbarger as summer ACT teachers at a rate to be determined based on the number of participants.
• August Cordonnier on a one year purchased service contract as a driver on an as needed basis for the 2016-17 school year.
• The following certificated staff to coaching/supplemental positions for the 2016-17 school year: Andy Timmerman, varsity girls basketball; and Cierra Saintignon, JV girls basketball.
• The following non-certificated staff to coaching/advisory positions for the 2016-17 school year: Spencer Cordonnier, varsity boys basketball; Dave Borchers, JV boys basketball; Mick Leffel, assistant varsity boys basketball; Kyle Schafer, freshmen boys basketball; Tonya Hammonds, 8th-grade girls basketball; Mark Hoying, 7th-grade girls basketball; Janelle Cantwil, JV volleyball; Doug Foster, varsity cross country; Kyle Moore, assistant varsity cross country; Becca Meyer, junior high cross country; and Brandi Phlipot, high school cheer advisor.
The board accepted the following donations:
• $250 from Jeff Monnin through the Honda Hero Program to be used for the baseball program.
• $250 from Darryl Sherman through the Honda Hero Program to be used for the baseball program.
• $1,500 from the Russia Homecoming Festival.
• $313.85 from the RCA for educational supplies.
• $300 from the Russia Local School Staff to be used for scholarship purposes.
• $585 from various businesses to be used for the Businessmen’s Scholarship.
• $500 in science supplies from DP&L for Mrs. Wysocki’s classroom.
Also at the meeting, the board:
• Approved the NEOLA policies as submitted at the April Board of Education meeting.
• Approve the resolution authorizing membership into the Ohio High School Athletic Association for the 2016-17 school year.
Mrs. Bensman and Mr. Rose also updated the board on summer school as well as the summer reading and math challenges that will happen in the upcoming summer.
Mr. Rose and Mrs. Slonkosky updated the board on the K-6 Character Education Program that occurred throughout the school year. Each family and elementary staff member will receive a booklet at the end of the year.
The regularly scheduled June meeting has been moved to June 22 starting at 8 p.m.