RUSSIA — Personnel items, along with a window project, were discussed during the Russia Local School Board of Education meeting Feb. 15, 2017
Superintendent Steve Rose presented the blueprint drawing for the window replacement project to the board. The drawings have been finalized and work on the project will begin in late May 2017.
Rose also presented the board with options for fixing the condensation issues in the Claire C. Naveau Gymnasium.
The retirement of Marie Daugherty, kindergarten through sixth-grade music teacher, was accepted. Her last day as a teacher will be May 26,2017.
Volunteer coaches for the district were also approved. Judy Goubeaux will serve as an assistant softball coach. Tom Doseck and Jeremy Unverferth will serve as volunteer baseball coaches.
The board also employed Joshua Frilling, Darlene Steen, Alexa Counts and Sharon Ernst as substitute teachers at a rate of $85 per day for the 2016-17 school year on an as-needed basis.
Bethany Meyer was hired as a classified cafeteria substitute and a substitute classroom instructional aide on an as needed basis for the 2016-17 school year.
The board also agreed to employ Tim York, Doug Borchers, Kerry Dapore and Jessica Sherman as basketball game workers on a per game basis as needed.
Ttwo days of unpaid leave (April 21,2017 and April 24,2017) for Paula Bergman for an extended vacation was approved by the board.
In other business, the board:
• Reviewed the financial summary report, the updated spending plan, and the three year spending plan comparison.
• Approved the appropriation modifications due to changes in estimated revenue as certified to the Shelby County Auditor.
• Accepted the amounts and rates as determined by the budget commission and authorizing the necessary tax levies and certifying them to the county auditor.
• Approved the adoption of post-issuance compliance policies and procedures and post-issuance continuing disclosure compliance policy for tax exempt obligations.
• Reviewed possible changes to the Memorandum of Understanding with Rhodes State College with the board. There are potential cost changes for the next school year.
• Discussed possible transportation changes for preschool students attending Shelby Hills in Sidney.
• Discussed a possible waiver day on Oct. 20, 2017, for staff development.
• Approved a motion to approve the school calendar for 2017-18 as submitted.
• Approved a motion to approve a 2 hour delay for Tuesday, March 7, 2017, for professional development.
• Accepted a donation of $3,000 from the Wayne Groff Family for scholarship purposes.
• Accepted a donation of $500 from the Dave and Ann Monnier Family for scholarship purposes.
• Discussed the potential for a business partnership by organizing a business advisory group. This will be investigated at the ESC level to see if this group already exists within the ESC consortium.
• Heard from Principal Brian Hogan who presented the details for the Professional Development planned for March 7 and and updateof the homecoming activities.
• Held an executive session to discuss personnel employment. No action was taken.