RUSSIA — Personnel for the current and upcoming school years were approved during Wednesday evening’s Russia Local School Board of Education meeting.
Andrew Arnett, Sara Pennington, Marlene Hemmelgarn, Chad Keith and Jessica Nicholas were hired as substitute teachers at a rate of $85 per day for the 2016-17 school year on an as needed basis.
Marcus Petitjean was hired as a part time Industrial Arts teacher and part time technology coordinator for the 2017-18 school year.
Three coaches were also approved for the spring sports season. Mark Travis was hired as an assistant track coach at an annual salary of $1,306. Ed Magoto and Lisa Quinter were approved as volunteer assistant track coaches.
Joseph Thomas was hired as a van/bus driver on an as needed basis for the 2016-17 school year pending completion of all required paperwork.
In other business, the BOE:
• Approved a contract with the village of Russia for use of the 2017 Exmark Lawnmower through Dec. 31, 2017.
• Approve a contract with the village of Russia for miscellaneous equipment rental from March 2017 through March 2018.
• Reviewed NEOLA policies. They will be approved at the April meeting.
• Accepted an anonymous donation of $600 to be used for the purchase of mini soap box derby cars.
• Accepted a donation of $800 from the Russia Athletic Boosters to be used for the costs associated with gym cleaning after home events.
• Accepted a donation of $92 from the fifth- and sixth-girls basketball program to be used for the high school girls basketball program.
• Was updated on the upcoming annual kindergarten screening. It is anticipated that the kindergarten class for next school year will be in the mid to high 30’s.
• Was updated on the March 7 teacher in-service. The in-service was well received by staff and administration. An update on the Building Leadership Team was also given. This team addressed such issues as textbook needs and scheduling.
• Went into executive session to discuss personnel employment. No action was taken.