NEW KNOXVILLE — During their regular meeting, Oct. 26, embers of the New Knoxville Board of Education established a wellness incentive program by approving a resolution to fund it.
“Whereas the New Knoxville Board of Education strives to encourage the well being of its employees, and Whereas the New Knoxville Board of Education believes there is a direct correlation between the wellness of the employees and the expenses of the district, Therefore be it resolved, the Board agrees to set aside, each school year, $50 per employee participating in any Wellness Committee initiative, or outside activity approved by the Wellness Committee. The funds are to be spent at the discretion of the Wellness Committee for the benefit of the Wellness program and the improvement of the health of the employees. Proper expenditures may include, but are not limited to, gift certificates or prizes for the participants, health-related staff meeting expenses, miscellaneous food and supplies for carrying out Wellness Committee initiatives with the staff, and any other expense deemed appropriate by the Wellness Committee,” the resolution read.
In other business, the board:
• Accepted resignations of Ali Carpenter, a cafeteria cashier and bus driver, and John Sailer, junior high track coach.
• Hired Tom Howell as a substitute teacher; Rachel Hawkins, student tutor; Sharon Wittler, volleyball line judge; Jerry VanderHorst, volleyball tournament manager; Andrew Poppe, scoreboard operator; Levi Hughes, student technology assistant; Lester Settlage, substitute bus driver; Janice Schumacher, ticket taker; and John Sailer, varsity baseball coach.
• Approved family medical leave for two employees.
• Approved board policies and the five-year projection.
• Contracted with Cy Schwieterman Inc. for snow removal.
Reach the writer at 937-538-4824. Follow her on Twitter @PASpeelmanSDN.