Are you prepared in case of an emergency? How many times have we heard that? How many times have we ignored warnings that may save our lives?
Keep a three day supply of things that you will need to help you through any severe weather or other emergency.
Here are some things we need in order to help us through an emergency situation:
• Create an emergency kit. In that kit include a flashlight, a loud whistle or bell (to let someone know you need help and where you are), one gallon of water per person per day and food that you can easily open and prepare. Be sure to include high energy foods such as peanut butter, granola bars and trail mix. If you have a battery-operated radio, also include that in your kit. Also keep spare batteries on hand. A blanket and a pillow should also be included.
• Keep a backup supply of all medications you take. Be sure to keep all medical equipment easily accessible.
• Remember your pet. Have supplies ready to help it through the emergency.
• Have at least one fire extinguisher and know how to use it.
• Other miscellaneous items you need to include are a first aid kit, over-the-counter medications, hand sanitizer and matches. Also think about a manual can opener, soap, garbage bags, tissues, paper towels and toilet paper.
• Designate a safe place to go if your house is unsafe to stay in.
• Ask a friend or family member to check on you in the event of severe weather or other emergency.
I know it sounds like a lot of preparation, but please take a few minutes to look over this list. I am sure you can think of other items that you may need to prepare for your own specific needs.