City crews began collecting fallen leaves more than two weeks ago. A detailed map of the collection zones is available online (http://www.sidneyoh.com/Solid-Waste/sw-fall-leaf-pickup.asp). Leaf collection is expected to continue through Dec. 2.
Crews will be collecting leaves on a daily basis, but it is anticipated that it will take one month to complete the first round of leaf pickup from all of the streets throughout the city. All work is subject to change due to weather and equipment availability.
Residents are reminded of the following leaf collection guidelines:
• All loose leaves should be raked to the tree lawn.
• Leaves should not be raked onto the street and not in the vicinity of a catch basin.
• Ensure that leaves are free of garbage, and other yard debris such as brush, branches, large twigs or stones.
• Leaves contaminated with garbage or yard debris will not be collected.
• Never park on or in front of leaf piles; if you do, they cannot be picked up.
While fall signals the beginning of leaf collection, it also marks the changeover in the collection of yard waste. Weekly Friday collection of yard waste by Republic Services ends Nov. 27. Weekly pickup of yard waste will not resume until May 1, 2016.
From Nov. 28 through April 30, the collection of yard waste will be done monthly by city of Sidney crews. This collection service begins the second week of December and continues the second week of each month through the second week of April. During monthly collection, all yard waste should be out for pickup on your normal trash pickup day during the second week of each month. The actual pickup day may be later in the week as it may take more than one week to complete the collection depending on volume and weather conditions.
Yard waste guidelines are the same for weekly and monthly collection:
• Yard waste must be at the curb by 7 a.m. There is no alley pickup of yard waste.
• All yard waste must be contained in a box, trashcan, biodegradable bag or bundle of material.
• Yard waste bundles must be wrapped with rope or heavy twine (no wire).
• Yard waste containers or bundles cannot exceed 60 pounds.
• Branches and brush must be 2 inches or less in diameter and 4 feet or less in length.
• A yard waste sticker is required on each bag or bundle only if you are using the city’s bag system for trash.
Christmas tree and seasonal greenery will be picked up by Republic for two weeks after Christmas. The city will pick up the remaining trees and greenery beginning the second week in January. Residents are reminded to remove trees from plastic bags, remove all ornaments, tinsel or any other decorations from the tree. Biodegradable (paper) bags are acceptable. Yard waste stickers are not required for Christmas trees and/or seasonal greenery.
Artificial trees or greenery will not be picked up with yard waste. They should be placed at the curb for the regular trash collection.
Residents with specific questions about either leaf collection or the collection of winter yard waste should contact Joyce Reier at the city of Sidney Service Center (937-498-8117). Information is also available at the city of Sidney’s website (www.sidneyoh.com).
Visitors to the community often tell me how beautiful they believe the city of Sidney to be. Those of us who live here sometimes fail to see the beauty that surrounds us. I would urge you to help keep Sidney looking as welcoming as possible by following these few simple guidelines.
This is one of a series of columns by Sidney Mayor Mike Barhorst dealing with issues of interest to residents.