June 13, 1915
A heavy wind, electrical and rain storm yesterday afternoon caused wide-spread damage throughout the city and in many sections of the county. Trees, and telephone and electric lines were blown down in many places causing a disruption of traffic. Falling electric wires set fire to oil on the street in front of the home of John Duncan, on North Ohio avenue. Lighting struck the tower of the United Brethren Church tearing away part of the roof, while wind blew across from one of the towers of Holy Angels Church. Several barns were unroofed and smaller buildings overturned and wrecked by high winds.
One of the best built barns to be found has recently been completed by John Heiser and Son at the canal on North street. It is of concrete and brick with galvanized roof. There are five large box stalls with an abundance of shelter for the wagons. The hay is fed from the mow at one end of the stall, and grain from the other so that it is unnecessary to enter the stalls for feeding. Built as it is the barn is warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
June 13, 1940
Wilson Memorial Hospital during the month of May experienced its largest operating month since the hospital was erected, according to the report released at the regular monthly meeting of the board of trustees at the hospital last evening. The report showed that 70 patients were admitted during the month with the average number of patients standing at 25.4.
James Sharp, Ralph and Norris Cromes, of this city, and George Brell of Anna, are in Cleveland attending the state convention of the Ohio Funeral Directors association.
June 13, 1965
Three Sidney youths, accompanied by Don Wheeler, owner of Wheeler’s Supermarket, left this morning for California, as members of the second annual IGA contest for boys. The local youths, all winners of the trip in a contest sponsored by Wheeler’s are: Mike Kinsella, Larry Harp, and Stan Watercutter. The quartet left Sidney at 7:30 a.m. for Vandalia, from where they were to depart by chartered United Air Lines plane for California.
Twenty-seven players were present when a low putts game was played by the Women’s Gold Association of the Moose. High for the 18 holers for the Wednesday June 9 play was Mrs. Edward Walters. Tied for second was Mrs. Sailor Beer and Mrs. Lowell Staley. In the nine holes play, Mrs. Benard Kerns was high with Mrs. Paul Koerner awarded second.
June 13, 1990
A 1966 Chevrolet two-door Impala hardtop will be the top drawing prize to be given away during the 14th annual “Cars Are Fun Festival sponsored by VintCars June 24 at the Shelby County Fairgrounds. Trophies will be awarded in the following categories: Best of Show, Oldest Commercial Vehicle, Peoples Choice, Best Street Rod, for the longest distance driven and for the best Street Machine. Twenty-nine door prizes totaling $1000 will be awarded to exhibitors of cars in restored, and excellent show condition from 1975 or older.
Lehman High School graduate Catherine J. Schultz, 18 daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gary Schultz, has announced plans to attend Ohio University later this year and major in social studies. While at Lehman Miss Schultz made the honor roll all four years, was in the marching and concert bands all four years, was active in Students Against Drunk Drivers, was on the substance abuse advisory committee, was in Lifeline, French Club, Academia and the Ohio Music Educators Association ensemble.