Smoke detector saves local resident


Staff report



SIDNEY — On Aug. 3, Sidney firefighters were dispatched to 403 Franklin Ave. on a report of smoke in the residence and found a kitchen fire towards the rear of the home.

Firefighters were able to extinguish a large portion of the fire from the exterior of the home, before completing the job inside the structure. The residents, a woman and her two dogs, escaped the building safely after being alerted by her smoke detector.

The cause of the fire was found to be food left cooking on the stove before she went to sleep.

The total loss to the property is estimated at $25,000 and to contents $8,000.

No one was injured, and Vectren secured the gas line following the fire.

The Northern Miami Valley Chapter of the Red Cross responded to scene and is providing assistance to the occupant and her dogs.

Staff report