November 8, 1892
R.O. Bingham, of this city, has invented a waffle iron which has been patented and is now being manufactured by the Wagner Manufacturing Co. It possesses some properties not found in irons already on the market. Without removing the lid from the stove, it may be inverted by simply raising the handles.
A franchise has been granted the Miami Valley Railway Co. to construct an electric railway between Piqua and Tippecanoe. It is an enterprise of several Piqua gentlemen, and they start it with a capital stock of $10,000. The line will be about 14 miles long, and it is said will be built this winter.
The committee from Wesley Chapel bought a fine organ for their new church of P.F. Server this week.
November 8, 1917
Two empty coal cars jumped the track at the Big Four Miami river bridge about 10 o’clock this morning and tumbled into the river. A box car also jumped the track but did not go over. The track was not torn up and traffic was delayed only a short while. The wreck was the most spectacular that has occurred here for many years and large crowds visited the scene this afternoon.
An unverified report from Columbus this afternoon indicates that a mistake in Cuyahoga county gives the drys 2,000 more votes. The Secretary of State’s office indicated that an official count will be necessary to determine which is ahead.
November 8, 1942
A group of Shelby county men left his morning from the Big Four station for Fort Benjamin Harrison, Ind. for active service in the U.S. Army. They were accepted two weeks ago after physical examinations at Fort Hayes, Columbus. The group was in charge of Marion Snyder, of Botkins.
A.N. Hemmert, commander of the local civilian defense corps, announced today that another test of the air raid warning system will be held tomorrow evening.
The Shelby county rationing board announced today that there will be no spare tires allowed on two-wheel or four-wheel stock or house trailers.
Miss Sally Bonnoront, of this city, has been promoted to assistant administrative supervisor for the Farm Security Administration of the Department of Agriculture in southern Ohio. Her headquarters will be in Athens. She was formerly located in Dayton.
November 8, 1967
PORT JEFFERSON – Virgil Gates was installed as new president of the Port Jefferson Community Club at a recent meeting. Also installed were Burton Miars, vice president; Mrs. Gerald Seitz, secretary, and Mrs. Carl Cook, treasurer. Trustees elected from resident members are James Doak and Don Wade. Out-of-town trustees are Eldon Ely and Richard Leach. Robert Burk is trustee-at-large.
A semi-formal “Harvest Ball” dance is planned Saturday evening, November 18, at the Piqua Country Club. Les Sheppard’s orchestra will be furnishing the music for the hours of dancing. Sidney hosts for the event are Mr. and Mrs. Frank Zielsdorf, Mr. and Mrs. Carroll Lewis, Mr. and Mrs. Seibert Kastan, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Manchester, Mr. and Mrs. Jack Rhees, Mr. and Mrs. Charles McCrate, Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Anderson and Dr. and Mrs. George Schroer.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars post of Sidney announced plans today for the annual observance of Veterans Day on Saturday, Nov. 11. Frank Lunsford, post commander, said the observance will be held at the flagpole in the northwest corner of the courthouse square starting at 11 a.m. Citizens of Sidney and the county are invited to participate in the program, and Lunsford suggested that every effort be made “to turn this holiday into a dynamic display of patriotism.”
November 8, 1992
As everyone knows, Bill Clinton won the election for the Presidency. One person in the county is more excited than any other – it is Gary Elsass. Elsass, a staunch Democrat, will be one of the electors. Since Ohio had 21 electoral votes, 21 individuals nominated by the Democratic Party will convene in the electoral colleges gathered pursuant to the relevant provisions in the U.S. Constitution. Gary also will be there and will most likely have stories to tell.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org