SIDNEY — Local blood drive sponsors will show support for May Military Appreciation Month by hosting area blood drives.
Everyone who registers to donate at a community or employee blood drive will receive the Community Blood Center “Military Appreciation Month Blood Donor” T-shirt. Donors are encouraged to schedule an appointment online at www.DonorTime.com or call 800-388-GIVE.
National Military Appreciation Month honors current and former members of the U.S. Armed Forces and all those who have died defending our freedom. Congress designated May as NMAM because it has the most days set aside to honor the sacrifices and successes of our service members, including Loyalty Day, VE Day, Armed Forces Day, Military Spouse Appreciation Day and Memorial Day.
The CBC limited edition T-shirt is dark blue with “Military Appreciation Month” in a military insignia design and “Blood donor” in stencil with the CBC blood drop logo and silhouettes of a soldier and fighter jets. The T-shirt is a free gift to everyone who registers to donate May 1 through May 27 at a CBC Donor Center or most CBC mobile blood drives.
Area blood drives include:
• May 3, Houston High School, Houston, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., student and staff blood drive.
• May 5, Sidney High School, Sidney, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., student and staff blood drive.
• May 5, Peerless Food Equipment, Sidney, 8 to 11 a.m., community blood drive.
• May 9, St. Jacobs Lutheran Church, Anna, 2 to 6 p.m., community blood drive.
• May 10, Emerson, Sidney, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., employee blood drive.
• May 11, Emerson, Sidney, noon to 4 p.m., employee blood drive.
• May 11, Cargill, Sidney, noon to 4 p.m., employee blood drive.
• May 12, Urbana High School, Urbana, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., student and staff blood drive.
• May 12, Discovery Center, Bellefontaine, noon to 4 p.m., community blood drive.
• May 16, Honda of America, Anna, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., employee blood drive.
• May 17, Honda of America, Anna 4 to 8 p,m., employee blood drive.
• May 17, SpartanNash, Bellefontaine, 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., employee blood drive.
• May 19, American Trim, Sidney, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., employee blood drive.
• May 23, Sidney American Legion, 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., sponsored by Sidney Kiwanis, community blood drive.
• May 24, Mary Rutan Hospital, Bellefontaine, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., community blood drive.
The Community Blood Center is honored to recognize these “Donors for Life:”
• 160 donations, Gary Bensman, Fort Loramie.
• 150 donations, Joseph Clark, Sidney.
• 120 donations, Guy Demange, Yorkshire.
• 100 donations, Becky Roberts, Sidney.
• 80 donations, Cindy Davis, Jackson Center.
• 70 donations, Irene Sherman, Russ Seger, Fort Loramie; Angie Lachat, Russia.
• 50 donations, Sue Kauffman, Sidney; John Poeppelman, Minster.
• 30 donations, Christy Akers, Matt Kohler, Jackson Center; Brenda Barhorst, Fort Loramie; Jennifer Watkins, Sidney.
• 25 donations, Barb Burt, Jackson Center; Mark Thaman, Anna; Daniel Simes, Troy; Eugene Holthaus, Sidney.
• 20 donations, Warren Sprague Jr, Jackson Center; David Ambos, Botkins; Mark Sheppie, Russia; Kyle Wuebker, Minster.
• 10 donations Zachary Thomas Gariety, Russia, Clayton Eilerman, Fort Loramie; Haley Wolfe, Mason Wilde, Megan Snyder, Sidney.
• 5 donations, Claira McEldowney, Megan Frazier, Russia; Shane Huffman, Port Jefferson; Austin Clack, Houston.
Connect with Community Blood Center for the latest information and services at www.GivingBlood.org. Get fast and complete answers on how to make your first donation, organize a blood drive, or bring our education program to your school. Get all the updates in the CBC/CTS newsroom, find quick links to our social media pages, or schedule your next appointment to donate by connecting to www.DonorTime.com.
Blood donation requirements: Donors are required to provide a photo ID that includes their full name. Past CBC donors are also asked to bring their CBC donor ID card. Donors must be at least 17 years of age (16 years old with parental consent: form available at www.givingblood.org or at CBC branch & blood drive locations), weigh a minimum of 110 pounds (you may have to weigh more, depending on your height), and be in good physical health. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) changes blood donor eligibility guidelines periodically. Individuals with eligibility questions are invited to email [email protected] or call 1(800)388-GIVE. Make an appointment at www.DonorTime.com.
Community Blood Center/Community Tissue Services is an independent, not-for-profit organization. Community Blood Center provides blood products to 25 hospitals and health centers within a 15-county service area in the Miami (Ohio) and Whitewater (Indiana) Valleys. For more information about Community Blood Center/Community Tissue Services®, visit www.givingblood.org.