Court stops couple battle with jail sentence

By Jim Painter - For the Sidney Daily News

SIDNEY — An embattled Toledo couple who previously resided locally were apparently unable to solve their personal differences. Local officials have intervened on their behalf with a prison sentence and additional court action still on tap.

The ongoing battle involved domestic violence, abduction and one’s being struck by a car by the other, twice. On Thursday, Nov. 1, the pair appeared in Shelby County Common Pleas Court for a plea change and sentencing.

Tyler A. Hurst, 31, who resided at 63 Eastview Drive Apt. 5, Fort Loramie, when the incident occurred, was sentenced to 17 months with the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction on an amended charge of trespassing in a habitation with someone present, a fourth-degree felony. He was also sentenced to 180 days in the county jail for violation of a protection order, a first-degree misdemeanor.

The jail terms will be served concurrently, or at the same time.

Hurst had originally been charged with abduction, a third-degree felony, violating a protection order, a fifth-degree felony, and obstructing official business, a second-degree misdemeanor, following an Aug. 19 incident in Sidney.

At 7:37 a.m., July 28, Sarah Stallkamp, 27, 623 N. Ohio Ave., was allegedly driving while impaired east on North Main Avenue near Shelby Street when she twice struck Hurst, who was a pedestrian.

On Dec. 12, Stallkamp is scheduled for sentencing on an amended charge regarding her attempt to run down Hurst with her vehicle. Through plea negotiations with prosecutors, she will be sentenced on a charge of inducing panic, a fifth-degree felony. She faces a maximum sentence of 12 months in prison and a $2,500 fine.

She was originally charged with two counts of felonious assault, both second-degree felonies, and for operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, a first-degree misdemeanor.

According to online court records, the couple were residing at 623 N. Ohio Ave., when Hurst was arrested for domestic violence on Jan. 1. He was placed on probation and ordered to obtain anger management counseling.

On July 5, Hurst violated a temporary protection order by contacting Stallkamp. Twenty-three days later, Stallkamp was arrested for the vehicular incident against Hurst.

According to the police report, Stallkamp struck Hurst in the crosswalk on Shelby Street, with witnesses claiming she sped up the vehicle while running a stop sign at the intersection at North Main Avenue, striking Hurst. She then drove in the wrong direction on North Main, turned around and struck Hurst again.

The report indicates she drove around the block, returning to the scene, when another driver pulled his car in place to protect Hurst. Stallkamp then fled the scene on foot, to be arrested a short time later by city police.

On Aug. 19, Hurst allegedly entered Stallkamp’s residence around 9 a.m. while she was at the home. The reports noted Hurst did not use force to enter the premises.

Online court records show Hurst forcibly prevented Stallkamp from leaving the house. He manipulated her into believing law enforcement officers were seeking her arrest. Already in place was a protection order the woman had against Hurst.

Once police arrived at the residence at 10 a.m., Hurst ran from officers and later provided false information prompting the obstructing charge.

While jailed, Hurst continued to attempt to contact Stallkamp, calling from the county jail and leaving a message on her phone.

Common Pleas Court Judge Stevenson again ordered Hurst to make no contact with the alleged victim. Stevenson ordered him to jail on a $50,000 bond.

On Oct. 1, while free on a bond, Hurst allegedly went to where Stallkamp was and placed a ladder against the building, looking at her through a window. Sidney Police arrested Hurst and filed additional charges of aggravated trespassing and violation of a protection order, both first-degree misdemeanors, in Sidney Municipal Court.

Also, on Nov. 1, the court granted a request to remove an interlock device from Stallkamp’s vehicle and returned it to her.

By Jim Painter

For the Sidney Daily News

The writer is a regular contributor to the Sidney Daily News.

The writer is a regular contributor to the Sidney Daily News.