SIDNEY – A city man has been indicted for his role in fleeing Sidney Police both in a vehicle and on foot. A Sidney woman has been charged in a drunken driving incident that resulted in a serious injury to a passenger.
In all, 23 people were indicted by the Shelby County grand jury on Thursday, Nov. 19. They were scheduled to appear in Shelby County Common Pleas Court for arraignment on Monday, Nov. 23.
James Baldwin, 47, Sidney, was charged with failure to comply with the order or signal of an officer, a third-degree felony, assault, a fourth-degree felony, and resisting arrest, a second degree misdemeanor.
According to online court records, on Nov. 11 Baldwin fled when signaled to pull over his vehicle for a traffic stop. He is accused for driving in a reckless manner at excessive speeds weaving through traffic. He also attempted to cause harm to Officer Robert Benshoff when he ran during his arrest.
Esta J. Stammen, 27, Sidney, has been charged with aggravated vehicular assault, a third-degree felony, stemming from a Sept. 5 accident along Russell Road. Authorities claimed Stammen was driving impaired with a .189 blood alcohol level.
A passenger was reportedly seriously injured in the mishap.
Stamen was also charged with operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol and for operating a vehicle with a specified concentration of alcohol, both first-degree misdemeanors.
Brennan Taylor, 22, Sidney, was indicted for improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle, a fourth-degree felony. Specification for the indictment was the handgun found under a passenger’s seat in his car was used in the commission of a felony offense.
Ten people charged with failure to appear, all fourth-degree felonies, for not appearing for their court dates when ordered.
They include Michael Lee, 54, Jeffrey Eichelberger, 35, Richard Ernest Winemiller, 39, Jason Mark Nation, 46, Ronald David Lewis, 46, Ramone C. Grundy, 40, Haley P. Elliott, 23, Judy L. Skeens, 47, Alan Stephens, 39, and Shane Skeens, 52, all of Sidney.
Other cases include:
• David W. Slife, 34, at large, aggravated possession of drugs and possessing criminal tool, both fifth-degree felonies.
Rachael R. Slife, 47, at large, receiving stolen property, a fourth-degree felony, and aggravated possession of drugs, a fifth-degree felony.
• Brett A. North, 36, Sidney, breaking and entering, a fifth-degree felony.
• Selena M. Ballard, 58, Toledo, Ohio, receiving stolen property, and misuse of credit cards, both fifth-degree felonies.
• Dustin B.E. Russell, 31, Sidney, theft, a fifth-degree felony.
• William J. Kalisz, 37, Sidney, possession of drugs, aggravated possession of drugs and possessing criminal tools, all fifth-degree felonies.
• Jonathan Rashad Rivers, 34, Sidney, illegal conveyance of a prohibited item onto the grounds of a detention facility, a third-degree felony.
• Kayla Snyder, 26, possession of drugs and possessing criminal tools, both fifth-degree felonies, and tampering with evidence, a third-degree felony.
• Robert White III, 38, Sidney, aggravated possession of drugs and possessing criminal tools, both fifth-degree felonies.
• Ralph M. Turner, 33, Sidney, possession of drugs, a fifth-degree felony.
The writer is a regular contributor to the Sidney Daily News.