Fire damages Sidney house


Staff report



SIDNEY — A fire that apparently started near a stove caused an estimated $25,000 damage to a Sidney home Friday morning.

At 10:49 a.m., firefighters were dispatched to 1011 Broadway Ave. for a report of a structure fire, according to a news release from the Sidney Department of Fire & Emergency Services.

On arrival, firefighters found a two-story residence with heavy smoke showing from the first and second floors and a working fire in the kitchen on the first floor. Firefighters were able to knock down most of the fire from an exterior window before moving inside and finishing extinguishing the fire. The balance of the crew performed search and rescue, ventilation and checked for fire extension.

A box alarm was dispatched to recall all off-duty personnel. Additional mutual aid was provided by Anna Fire Department and Perry-Port-Salem Rescue. One adult and six children were in the residence at the time of the fire and were assisted to safety by Sidney Police officers, who placed them with a neighbor until they could be evaluated by paramedics. The adult occupant was transported to Wilson Memorial Hospital for treatment and evaluation of smoke inhalation. Additionally, a 5-year-old boy was evaluated for smoke inhalation by paramedics; he was released to the care of his grandmother.

Vectren and DP&L were called to the scene to secure utilities. Northern Miami Valley Chapter of Red Cross is assisting the victims with housing and additional needs.

The property is owned by Craig Bergman, of Sidney, and sustained heavy fire damage to the kitchen and dining room, with smoke damage throughout the structure. Damage is estimated at $25,000 to the structure and contents.

No firefighters were reported as injured.

The fire investigation team found the origin of the fire to be in the kitchen on or near the stove. The fire appears to be accidental in nature, with the investigation ongoing.

Staff report