August 19, 1891
A suggestion of considerable merit has been made for the future improvement and development of our community. It has been proposed that Ohio Avenue be extended south from Clay Street, through the Stephenson, Weingartner and Stockstill lands, with the area to be laid out in town lots. It is possible to extend Ohio Avenue south three squares, thereby providing 24 full lots facing the avenue, or about 48 building lots. With the need for additional housing in the city the suggestion merits serious consideration by the property owners.
August 19, 1916
The matter of a stone road between Sidney and Jackson Center was discussed before the county commissioners at their meeting yesterday. A petition of more than 60 names of the influential residents of Jackson Township and been presented some time ago, asking for such a road to be taken care of by the commissioners in making the necessary levy. The road is one of the most important in the county and should be approved.
August 19, 1941
One of the smallest squads in the gridiron history of Sidney High School turned out this morning for the first practice sessions for the football season. Only 20 prospects were on hand at the call of Coaches Howard Brown and Herb Woolweaver. This number is expected to be increased, however, with the return of families from vacation.
August 19, 1966
The Sidney Airport on Plattsville Road south of Sidney was the mecca today of scores of air-minded Shelby County famers and members of their families. The port was the take-off place for the biennial air and ground tours sponsored by the Soil and Water Conservation Service and other agricultural agencies. On hand to supervise and direct operations were Russell Sayre, general chairman; Lloyd E. Lutz, county agricultural agent; William Joslin, ground tour chairman; Larry Decker, SWCS conservationist; Henry Horstman, publicity chairman; Paul Clark, operator of the airport; vocational agriculture instructors in the county schools, and others.
August 19, 1991
ANNA – Ohio native Clifford “Cliff” Clements was hired as principal of Anna High School during a special meeting of the Anna Board of Education. Clements, 44, was one of two finalists for the position vacated by Earnie Jones, who accepted a similar position last month at Fremont Ross High School in Fremont.
Construction begins on a new street which will be an extension of Pinehurst Street, west of Wapakoneta Avenue, to serve a new residential subdivision called Dawn Ridge. The subdivision will contain 24 single-family lots.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org