ANNA — On July 28, 2015, the Anna Village Council passed Ordinance No. 1680-15 to place an additional 0.25 percent income tax levy on the November ballot with the money collected appropriated to the police department.
On Nov. 19, 2013, council held a public meeting (Town Hall session) and the consensus from that meeting is that the citizens want more police coverage and a better department. This means hiring a second full-time officer and being able to provide the department with updated equipment and cruisers. It is recommended that a municipality provide one full time officer for each 600 residents. The population of Anna on the 2010 census was 1,567. Additional hours would be filled with auxiliary officers.
There is no way we can accomplish this with our current budget. As you know from your own experience with household expenses, costs just keep rising. It is the same for the Village with electricity, natural gas, services, supplies, upkeep of facilities and capital improvements.
Below are listed some interesting facts and figures for your information:
• The police department budget for 2014 was $145,064.63
• In 2015 it was $163,322.35
• Yearly cost for one additional full time officer with benefits will be about $53,000.
• An additional 0.25 percent income tax will generate approximately $97,000 per year. It would cost a family with a $50,000 annual income $2.40 a week. A family with a $100,000 annual income would pay $4.80 per week. Although this is not a great amount per family, it would provide the protection of having another full time officer in the Village.
• Local government funds since 2010 $30,000.
• Sidney income tax increase (0.25 percent) per year $24,716.
• HB 5 (income tax changes) per year $14,000.
• Inheritance and personal property tax since 2012 $7,000.
• Health insurance increase from 2014 to 2015 $57,885.
• Income tax collection fees by the city of St. Marys were going to increase from $15,000 to $37,400 per year. By hiring a part time tax administrator, we have brought this job in house at a cost of $24,429 per year.
There will be a Town Hall meeting at the Anna Elementary School on Oct. 20, at 7 p.m. to review this information and answer any and all questions.
This article was submitted by the Anna Village Council.