July 30, 1915
A message has been received by the Wagner Manufacturing Co. that the firm has been awarded “The Grand Prize” on their exhibit of Wagner Ware at the Panama Pacific Exposition now being held at San Francisco. The company has extensive exhibits at both the San Francisco and San Diego Expositions. At many previous affairs of this type, the Wagner Manufacturing Co., has been awarded medals – bronze, silver and gold – but this is the first time the firm has been awarded “The Grand Prize” over all other exhibitors.
The seven year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Emerick of East Lane Street was knocked down and run over by an auto truck about 11 o’clock this morning in front of the resident of G.E. Cyphers. Although he received multiple bruises about the shoulders and hips, the boy apparently was not seriously injured.
July 30, 1940
Tentative plans for the expansion of Co. L. of the Ohio National Guard to full time war strength by fall were outlined to Capt. Roscoe Stump during a meeting of all officers of the 148th Infantry Regiment held yesterday in the Kenton Armory. Present plans call for the entire Ohio National Guard to go to Warren, Wisconsin for three weeks of training starting August ll. Captain Stump announced there are a few vacancies now in the company which could be filled before the company left for Wisconsin.
Plans for the installation of insulation at Wilson Memorial Hospital with work expected to get under way within the next few days were announced today by Jerome Raterman, president of the hospital board.
July 30, 1965
A single engine aircraft made an emergency landing in the south side of the Sidney High School parking lot after running out of gas shortly before noon today. The plane, traveling east, was piloted by Charles Manning, 216 E. Ruth Street and had with him a dog companion. According to Sidney police who investigated, Manning failed to switch his gas tanks causing his engine on the Pipe Tri-Pacer to quit.
Winans’ Carriage House, formerly Hetzel Confectionery, on the south side of the square will cease operation at the close of business Saturday. Max and Richard Winans, who purchased the store from Ronald Meyer in November 1962, will move the merchandise to the Piqua and Bellefontaine stores they have operated for the past 10 years.
July 30, 1990
The members of the Sidney Wesleyan Church are a pretty handy bunch. They have been building a new parsonage for their pastor. Reverend Randy Shade will be moving in to a new 4,000 square foot home courtesy of the members. It is located at 621 second Avenue in Sidney.
The second annual White Oaks Jamboree will be taking place next week. White Oaks, owned by 11 families is located in the Ft. Loramie area. It is hosting a concert of country performers. Last year, the event drew a crowd of over 2,000 people. The entertainers this year include Every Day People, the Blue Country Farmers and the Southern Raiders.