SIDNEY — The Shelby County Commissioners have agreed to fund additional improvements to the Shelby County courthouse at a cost of $96,724.25.
The work comes after funding $4,800,000 in improvements in a project that began last year.
The additions include upgrades and fixes whose necessity was discovered while the originally planned work was underway. They include providing water heaters, faucets, electricity and pipe to provide hot water to seven hand sinks; four exterior LED flood lights; miscellaneous interior wall patching; repair of the four faces of the clock tower; and masonry cleaning and joint tuckpointing on the water table surrounding the four porticos and the building perimeter.
Tuesday, the commissioners received a certificate of substantial completion of masonry restoration, the fire alarm system, portico roof repairs and the HVAC system. Window replacement is complete on the first and second floors and contnues on the third and fourth floors.
All work is due to be finished in late 2016.
Commissioners also have signed closing documents and acquired the building at 1000 Milligan Court in Sidney.
The county has been renting the building, which houses the one-stop shop comprising the local operations of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. The purchase price was $450,000 less $48,000 which had been paid in rent since the purchase contract was signed.
In other recent business, the commissioners:
• Accepted a proposal from Buehler Asphalt Paving Inc. to resurface and stripe the parking lot at the Agricultural Building and the EMA Building at a cost of $49,832.
• Accepted a proposal from Ticon Paving Inc. to seal and stripe the parking lot at the Job and Family Services building at a cost of $9,090.42.
• Awarded a contract in the amount of $100,470 to Martin Painting & Coating Co. for the courthouse square painting project.
• Awarded a contract in the amount of $174,800 to Miami & Erie contractors Inc. for the courthouse square concrete replacement project.
• Enacted a public improvement agreement with Brumbaugh Construction Co. in the amount of $259,705 for the Rangeline Road bridge replacement.
• Enacted a public improvement agreement with A&A Safety Inc. in the amount of $81,568.95 for the 2015 highway paint-striping program.
• Changed the bid-opening date for the standpipe tank mixing and Fair Haven improvement project from Aug. 6 to Aug. 13, 2015, at 11 a.m.
• Accepted a quote from Slagle Mechanical in the amount of $7,500 to replace pumps and controls at jail.
• Accepted aquote from Luthman Concrete & Construction in the amount of $15,630 to replace sidewalks at the jail.