SIDNEY — A new principal was hired by the Sidney City Schools Board of Education during its Monday, July 19, meeting.
Cristina Sanchez was given a three-year contract as the new Northwood Intermediate School principal effective Aug. 1, 2021. She will be paid $100,000 per year. She was also given a contract for up to 10 days between July 1 and July 31, 2021. She will be paid $465 per day.
In addition to the new principal, the board also hired Carly Linkous, Sidney Middle School teacher, Amanda Mitchell, SMS teacher, Carrie Lament, Whittier teacher, Caitlin Dowling, SMS teacher, and Tom Clark Sidney City Schools JaVA consultant. All received a one-year contract. Clark will be paid $26,999 for his 185 daay contract. The teachers’ salaries will be based on the Sidney Education Association negotiated salary schedule.
Also hired were Randy Adams, custodian, and Karen Utley, OBI.
Resignations were accepted from Hayley Barhorst, Whittier teacher, Laurie Kimmel, SMS teacher, Glen Martin, substitute custodian, Michael Hughes, custodian, Dan Barnes, SMS assistant principal, and Mary Jannides, swim supplemental.
In other business, the board:
• Accepted the Educational Partnership Cooperative bids for the 2021-22 school year for:commercial foods: GFS, Rightway and Sysco; bakery: Aunt Millie’s, Klosterman and Nickles; dairy: Borden, DFA, Prairie Farms, Schenkel’s, United Ice Cream, Hershey’s and Velvet and produce; Creative Gardens and Hackett. Mandi Croft abstained from voting as her husband is employed by one of the companies.
• Approved the edmentum agreement for the EdOptions Academy Elementary Pathways to be used in the JaVA program for a period of 12 months at a cost of up to $56,000.
• Approved professional learning support through Open Up Resources for grades 6-11 math curriculum implementation for $42,700.
• Approved an agreement with Ohio School Plan administered by Hylant Administrative Services, for the district’s property, fleet and liability insurance from July 1, 2021, to June 30, 2022, at a cost of $108,915.
• Approved an agreement with USI Insurance Services for a cyber liability insurance policy at a cost of $13,319 for the period of July 1, 2021, to June 30, 2022.
• Approved the reappointment of Kurt Barhorst to the Shelby County Libraries Board of Trustees.
• Adopted the 2021-22 Title I Parent Involvement Policy and School-Parent Compact for Emerson Primary, Longfellow Primary and Northwood Intermediate.
• Went into executive session to discuss the superintendent and treasurer evaluations, employment of an employee and security arrangements for the district. No action was taken.
The board will hold a special meeting Aug. 10 at 5:30 p.m.at the board offices with two agenda items: employment of personnel; and and executive session to conduct superintendent evaluation.
The next regular board meeting will be held Monday, Aug. 16, t 6 p.m. at the board office.