January 18, 1897
W.H. Wagner, who has been engaged in the hardware business in Sidney for the past 21 years, has sold his store to H.G. Woodward, of Birmingham, Ala., who has reached here to take charge of the store. Mr. Wagner expects to devote his entire time to the manufacturing business being connected with the Wagner Manufacturing Co.
“The Fashions,” an illustrated monthly journal for American women is now being distributed from the dry goods house of I.H. Thedieck. It is an attractive magazine full of good reading and contains some excellent illustrations. Mr. Thedieck is giving away copies of the magazine to purchasers buying a certain amount of goods.
Ed F. Duncan has in his possession a shoe from the foot of “Joe Patchen,” the famous race horse. Ed has had the shoe silverplated and arranged for a pen rack.
January 18, 1922
At the road meeting on Monday it was reported there are 90 miles of Shelby county roads on the state system. Of which 24 miles are paved. In 1921, Shelby county spent $191,256 in building 6-1/2 miles of high-type road. The 1922 program calls for 5-1.2 miles at a probably cost of $155,000.
Chief of Police O’Leary celebrated the 30th anniversary of his service on the police force of the city today. Most of the time he has served as the city’s efficient chief. He received the congratulations of his many friends during the day.
The secretary of state in Columbus today authorized the incorporation of the Gartland-Haswell Foundry Co. at Sidney, with a capitalization of $10,000. Incorporators are listed as: John C. Haswell, H.D. Hunter, H.C. Sullivan, C.E. Swank, and O.V. Coon.
January 18, 1947
Passage of a parking meter ordinance and authorization for the service director to advertise for bids for installation of the meters were two of the four ordinances passed by city council at a special meeting held last evening. Council was unanimous in passage of the parking meter ordinance. Areas designated for meters include both sides of Ohio avenue from North street to Court; Poplar street from West avenue to Main; Court street from Ohio avenue to Main.
Byron L. McClellan has purchased a new business in Worthington, Ind., assumed ownership, but will not take over personally active managership of the store until he returns from Florida in the spring. It is a variety store. McClellan was actively associated with the business life of Sidney for some 14 years before disposing of the Sidney Hardware Co. last summer because of poor health.
January 18, 1972
Sidney Elks Lodge announced today that Suzanne Richards of Anna and Michael Cole of Sidney High School are the local winners in the Elks Youth Leadership Contest. Each winner received a $25 savings bond and their entries were submitted for district judging.
January 18, 1997
William H. “Bill” and Mary L. Deam, 2113 Jennie Way, will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary on Sunday with a family dinner at First United Methodist Church.
Deam and the former Mary L. Brockman were married Jan. 18, 1947, during a 7:30 p.m. ceremony at St. Jacob Lutheran Church in Anna. The Rev. F.J. Mittermaier officiated.
Mr. Deam is the son of the late Emerson and Helen (Edwards) Deam of Sidney. His wife is the daughter of the late William and Margaret (Klindworth) Brockman of Anna.
They have two sons, Mark and John of Sidney, and one daughter, Mrs. Dan (Marcia) Shaffer of Cincinnati. Another son is deceased. There are three grandsons, one granddaughter, and five great-grandchildren.
Mr. Deam retired as part-owner of Deam Insurance Agency in Sidney. Mrs. Deam retired from the Sidney City Schools as a teacher’s aide.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org