SIDNEY — The next step in naming a new superintendent for Sidney City Schools is underway.
Eighteen applications were received by the June 6 deadline, according to Cheryl Ryan, director of Board and Management Services for the Ohio School Boards Association, which is assisting the local board of education in its search for a new superintendent. Current Superintendent John Scheu’s last day on the job is July 31.
During Monday night’s special board of education, the board went into executive session to discuss all the applications. Of the 18, the board narrowed it to its list of candidates they want to interview to six.
Those selected for the interview process — which will be held in executive session Monday and Tuesday, June 18-19, are:
• Michael Drummond, North Olmsted City Schools director of human resources.
• Brooke Gessler, Sidney City Schools curriculum director and interim high school principal.
• John Holtzapple, Anna Local Schools elementary school principal.
• Maura Horgan, Newark City Schools director of curriculum and staff development.
• Robert Humble, Fairbanks, Ohio, Local Schools superintendent.
• David White, Trotwood Madison City Schools principal.
Of the other 12 applications received three are currently principals, four are superintendents, one is curriculum director and four had no organization indicated.
A second round on interviews is planned for June 20-22. Action to employ a new superintendent is tentatively set for July 1, with a start date of Aug. 1.
In preparation for the employment of a new superintendent, the district held forums on May 31 which involved community and business leaders, the school district’s teachers, support staff, administrators, booster leaders, PTO and students.
A second public forum was held Monday, June 11, during which time community members shared their views on the new superintendent.
Reach the writer at 937-538-4822.