FORT LORAMIE — Members of the Fort Loramie Board of Education provided feedback during their Jan. 18 meeting on ideas presented by high school Principal Dan Hollenbacher about how best to use a $100,000 grant from State Farm Insurance.
Hollenbacher presented quotes for possible purchases, including one for a driving simulator.
In other business, the board:
• Accepted donations of $1,500 from Select Arc to support the Science Olympiad; $200 from the Fort Loramie American Legion to support the National Honor Society and the History Club with $100 each; $100 from B. Strunk to support elementary art; $162.69 from the Fort Loramie Community Service Club to support the Student Council with $50 and the FCCLA with $112.69; $302.25 from the Board of Education to support the Scholarship Fund with $250 and the Discretionary Incentive Fund with $52.25; and $1,410 from three anonymous donors to support Fort Loramie Basketball’s Children’s Hospital toy donation with $1,250 and the music department with $160.
• Approved changes in placement on the salary schedule for Erin Turner, $65,602, and Jordan Pleiman, $51,681.
• Approved the hire of Hayley Barhorst as a prekindergarten class instructor at a pay rate of $22.50 per hour and of a substitute teacher at a pay rate of $80 per day.
• Approved the 2016-2017 school calendar.
• Approved the prekindergarten preparation class.
• Approved Adam Bockrath for early graduation.
• Approved 2016 summer camps.
In action during the Jan. 4 organizational meeting, the board made the following committee appointments:
Tony Meyer: Buildings and Grounds, Policy Development, Transportation, Music Boosters.
Jim Maurer: Buildings and Grounds, Personnel, Grievances and Negotiations, Technology, Curriculum, O.S.B.A., Foundation, legislative liaison.
Tracy Drees: Finance, Transportation, Athletic Council, Athletic Boosters, G.Y.M. Inc.
Diane Pleiman: Personnel, Grievances and Negotiations, Curriculum, Athletic Council, A.C.E., Athletic Boosters.
Vern Siegel: Policy Development, Technology, Music Boosters, B.Y.M. Inc.
In other organization action, the board:
• Named Superintendent Daniel B. Holland as board spokesperson and in case of his unavailability, Board President Diane Pleiman as spokesperson for the board in all matters requiring public comment.
• Retained the law firm of Pepple & Waggoner for use of legal consultation and negotiations on an as-needed basis on an hourly rate basis.
• Authorized the treasurer to make the payroll deductions from the pay of board members during calendar year 2016. Deductions will be $50 per quarter for a total of $200 for the Board of Education Scholarship and net pay to the discretionary fund.
• Appointed the treasurer as the members’ public record designee for calendar year 2016.
Reach the writer at 937-538-4824. Follow her on Twitter @PASpeelmanSDN.