SIDNEY — Final approval was given to members of the Sidney High School Class of 2016 during Monday night’s Sidney City Schools Board of Education meeting.
The board approved 234 students who are in this year’s graduating class. All students must complete all state and local requirements before receiving their diplomas during Saturday’s graduation ceremony.
While the Class of 2016 is ready to enter a new phase of their lives, three members of the district’s staff were also recognized on their retirement.
Hugh Aukerman is retiring as the director of the Federal Programs and Food Service for the district. He has been with SCS for 10 years and in education for 37 years.
Wanda Challen is retiring as a bus driver for the district. She has been transporting students to and from school for 21 years.
Patsy Kerber has been a MD aide for 16 years with Sidney City Schools.
Ken McElroy, who is serving as chairman for the PI levy committee, said there are currently five members of the committee and they have held one meeting. They are in the planning stages of the process to get the levy passed in August, he said.
Bob Barnes, Sidney Music Boosters president, talked to the board about the items the boosters had purchased and the monetary donation they were giving in support of the music program. He said the group has awarded $10,000 in music booster scholarships this year.
In other business, the board:
• Approved the five-year financial forecast.
• Approved an agreement with the Midwest Regional Educational Service Center for Juvenile Court Liaison Services for fiscal year 2017 at a cost of $14,093.68
• Approved donations from the Sidney High School Music Boosters for equipment and a monetary donation for future purchases. The total amount of the donation was $7,704.
• Entered into an agreement with SC Strategic LLC for document imaging services at an estimated cost of $58,495.
• Approved a resolution from the Southwestern Ohio Educational Purchasing Council to authorize the purchase of competitive retail electric service bids.
• Accepted the resignations of Dennis Klenowski, school psychologist; Megan Kistner, Sidney High School intervention specialist; Meghan Smith, SHS guidance counselor; and Carol DeNise, substitute aide.
• Approved Teresa Cegledy as a home instruction tutor at $24.43 per hour for the 2015-16 school year.
• Employed Lesley Beigel on a two-year limited contract as a school psychologist. She will be paid $63,949 per year. Her contract is effective Aug. 9.
• Awarded one-year contracts to new employees, Stephanie Davis, Workforce RCI teacher, $60,545, effective Aug. 1; Janet Fu, orchestra director, $52,156, effective Aug. 16; Courtney Simpkins, Spanish teacher, $36,473, effective Aug. 16; Erin Montgomery, guidance counselor, $58,357, effective Aug. 16; Joshua Montgomery, intervention specialist, $58,357, effective Aug. 16; and Heather Trapp, MD teacher, $60,180, effective Aug. 16.
• Awarded one-year contracts to Nathan Christian, MD aide, $14.23 per hour at Sidney Alternative School; and Gena Dillman, aide, $12.23 per hour. Both contracts are effective Aug. 19.
• Awarded summer school supplemental contracts to teachers Frank Guillozet, Michael Roby and Ebenezer Blay at $26 per hour; and aides Terri Klosterman and Terry ward at $11.79 per hour.
• Awarded extended time supplemental contracts effective July 1, 2016, to Stephanie Davis, 25 days, $8,182; Sharon Maurice, 20 days, $5,914; and Michael Ward, 20 days, $5,599.
• Awarded supplemental contracts for the 2016-17 school year to Maggi Williams, associate athletic director, $11,106; Jennifer Wiford, head cheer coach, $4,377; Jenny Luebke, competition cheer coach, $2,735; Dawn Roberts, junior varsity football and junior varsity basketball cheer coach, $2,553; Ken Kellner, head cross country coach, $3,100; Ben Gates, Sidney Middle School cross country coach, $1,277; Adam Doenges, head football coach, $8,024; Terry Ward, SHS assistant football coach, $4,741; Shane Kelly, SHS assistant football coach at 50 percent; $1,641; Michael Ward, SHS assistant football coach at 50 percent, $1,641; Kyle Coleman, SHS assistant football coach, $4,012; Greg Snyder, SHS assistant football coach, $3,283; Wesley Branscum, SHS assistant football coach, $3,283; Frank Guillozet, head freshman football coach, $2,188; Joseph Stockton, freshman football coach, $1,824; Josh Elmore, freshman football coach at 50 percent, $912; Brent Anderson, freshman football coach at 50 percent, $1,641; Charles Stockton, eighth-grade football coach at 50 percent, $912; Thomas Wheeler, eighth-grade football coach, $3,283; Nathan Christian, eighth-grade football coach at 50 percent, $912; G.C. Kimmel, seventh-grade football coach, $2,553; Jim Roby, seventh-grade football coach at 50 percent, $912; Michael Roby, seventh-grade football coach at 50 percent, $912; Kyle Coleman, summer strength coach, $1,094; Levi Hahn, fall strength coach, $1,094; Daniel Wicks, head boys soccer coach, $3,647; Danielle McQuillin, junior varsity girls soccer coach, $2,006; Lauren Morrow, head volleyball coach, $4,377; Thomas Goffena, head golf coach, $2,188; Emily Scheu, head girls tennis coach, $2,188.
• Approved the issuance of certified contracts for the 2016-17 school year to Jodi Danzing, Lindsay Geuy, Cindy Miller and Kay Straman, continuing contracts; Kerri Adkins, Danielle Boerger, Chase Clark, Kyle Coleman, Allexis Davis, Joni Dunham, Michael Galloway, Laura Homan, Larry Jurosic, Ian Klingler, Danielle McQuillin, Seth Meyer, Logan Morris, Lauren Morrow, Arun Nagpal, Justin Setiff, Christian Taylor, Brian True, Michael Ward, Travis Weldy, Megan Williams, Michelle Wroda, Austin Young, Sam Young and Allison Zimmerman, one-year contracts; Todd Bridges, Anne Geise, Kate Geissel, Joanna Hiatt, Emily Hibbitts, Jeremy Keaton, James Kidd, Kelly Kidd, Dan Lewis, Melissa McClain, Rachel Meiring, Matt Norviel, Stephanie Page, James Roby, Michael Roby, Megan Shadley and Andy Slaughter, two-year contracts; Chris Adams, Ruth Baker, Jamie Birkmeyer, Krystal Coz, Shawn Dunlap, Tiffany Goffena, Tom Goffena, Nishious Golden, Frank Guillozet, Jill Hanke, Ken Kellner, Emily Schue and James Whitman, three-year contracts.
• Issued classified two-year contracts to Sandra Woodell, cook, and Ron Monroe, bus driver.
• Re-employed substitute teachers, home instruction tutors, SCOLA/Opportunity School intervention specialist and OBI instructor for the 2016-17 school year on a one-year limited, as needed contract.
• Approved the course syllabus for RCI Academy 2 to be added to the SHS curriculum beginning with the 2016-17 school year.
• Was updated by board member Bob Smith on legislative bills under consideration in Columbus.
The board’s next meeting will be Monday, June 20, at 5:30 p.m. at the board of education office.
Reach the writer at 937-538-4822; follow her on Twitter @MelSpeicherSDN. Follow the SDN on Facebook, www.facebook.com/SidneyDailyNews.