SIDNEY — A family of five is displaced after a grill placed too close to their Wilkinson Avenue home caused a fire and extensive smoke damage in the house Wednesday evening.
According to the Sidney Department of Fire and Emergency Services, firefighters were dispatched to 427 S. Wilkinson Ave. at 6:46 p.m. on Wednesday, May 27, 2020, for a structure fire.
Upon arrival, firefighters found a two-story, single-family residential structure, with smoke showing from the rear of the structure.
Three of the five occupants of the home at the time were out of the structure upon arrival. Sidney Police Department assisted in the removal of three dogs and two snakes.
Four adults and one child were the residents of the family home owned by Theresa King.
“It took about 30 or 40 minutes to put the fire out. The grill was too close to the house,” said Dallas Davis, Sidney Fire assistant chief. “They (the residents) are staying with family or friends, I think.”
Firefighters were able to extinguish a large portion of the fire from the exterior of the home using a transitional fire attack. Firefighters then entered the structure and continued a coordinated search and fire attack to complete extinguishment.
The loss to the property is estimated at $25,000 and $5,000 in contents.
DP&L and Vectren were called to the scene to secure the utilities.
Upon completion of an investigation, the fire has been classified as unintentional/accidental at this time, the press release said.
No one, including first responders, was injured in the fire.