HOUSTON — The president and vice president were elected for the Hardin-Houston Local School District Board of Education during its organizational meeting Jan. 9.
Barri Grandey was elected president, while Bill Clark was elected vice president.
The board approved the amount of $3,000 for the Board Service Fund for 2023. The board member will be paid $100 per meeting, not to exceed 15 meetings per calendar year. This will begin with the newly elected members in January 2024.
Also established was the regular meeting dates for the Board of Education for the 2023 calendar year as the third Monday of each month at 7 p.m. The superintendent was appointed as purchasing agent and the board president as alternate purchasing agent for 2023.
Jason Shaffer was appointed legislative liaison for 2023.
The board approved committees for:
• Finance/Audit – Jason Shaffer and Brian Helman
• Technology – Jason Shaffer and Brian Helman
• Curriculum – Barri Grandey and Christine Helman
• Building/Transportation – Bill Clark and Christine Helman
• Community Foundation of Shelby County – Bill Clark and Barri Grandey
The board authorized the treasurer to borrow money, invest funds, request advance draws from the county auditor, and make transfers and advances as necessary. They also authorized the superintendent and treasurer to attend meetings/conferences in the interest of the school district for 2023.
The superintendent was authorized to accept resignations between board meeting and to hire employees between board meetings. The authorized the superintendent and treasurer to enter into contracts that are less than $25,000 subject to appropriations and without further action by the board.
The board appointed the treasurer and/or the superintendent as the Board of Education Public Records designee for 2023.
During the regular meeting, the board:
• Approved all treasurer recommendations, including a donation to the Athletic Department in memory of Linda Sidle in the amount of $2,645.00.
• Approved the service agreement with EMS Linq Inc. for TITAN food services management systems.
• Approved vendor Game Time for the athletic complex playground project in the amount of $181,620.51 through OMNIA Partners pricing.
• Approved the service agreement with Shelby County Board of MRDD for the 2023-24 and 2024-25 school years.
• Approved Bailey Exman, as a long-term substitute teacher, beginning approximately February 24, 2023, contingent upon successful background check and proper certification.
• Entered into executive session to consider the appointment, employment, dismissal, discipline, promotion or compensation of an employee or the investigation of charges against the employee official, licensee, or student unless the employee, official, licensee, or student requests a public hearing and to prepare for, conduct, or review negotiations or bargaining sessions with employees.
The next regular board meeting will be Monday, Feb. 20, 2023, at 7 p.m. in the Media Center.