SIDNEY — The first week of school, said Superintendent John Scheu, has gone smoothly for students in the Sidney City Schools District.
“The school year began Monday for students in grades 9-12,” Scheu told the Board of Education Wednesday night. “Grades 1-8 started Wednesday. All students in K-12 will be in class next week.
“I visited all seven buildings today (Wednesday),” he said. “The lockers at Sidney High School look really nice. What a difference that makes in the building.”
At Northwood, he said, the storage area by the cafeteria is complete except for being painted. Aluminum entry doors have been installed on the buildings.
“The projects this summer have been beneficial to the district,” said Scheu. “Today wen off without a hitch other than that some of the elementary buildings are hot.”
Personnel items topped the remainder of the board meeting. The board approved a request to enter into a contract with Workforce Partnership for purchased services of Sharon Maurice, instructor, at $15,000 for the 2015-16 school year. Maurice, said Scheu, spends 50 percent of her time with Sidney students and her office is housed at Sidney High School. She is also overseeing the county Workforce Partnership development, which includes Sidney Students.
In other business, the board:
• Approved a motion to amend the employer STRS pickup contributions for the superintendent. The pickup paid by the employer is 7.50 percent and salary reduction pickup is the current rate in effect less than 7.50 percent. The total STRS Ohio contribution is 13 percent for the school year.
• Approved a motion to amend the employer STRS pickup contributions for the treasurer. The pickup paid by the employer is 3 percent and salary reduction pickup is the current rate in effect less than 3 percent. The total STRS Ohio contribution is 10 percent for the school year.
• Approved a transfer of $10,676.80 from the general fund to the food service fund in lieu of increasing student lunch prices for the 2015-16 school year.
• Accepted a donation of $1,000 to Sidney High School from American Legion Post 217. The money will be used for improvements at the freedom rock area.
• Accepted the resignations of Marcia Frantom, bus driver; Linda Kerns, cook; Eric McKinnis, technology support specialist; and Debra Lawrence, substitute teacher.
• Employed Kelly Gagnet as auxiliary services teacher at Holy Angels School at $30.66 per hour.
• Awarded one-year limited contracts to Tracy Watkins, MD aide, $16.70 per hour; Terri Klosterman, special education aide, $13.91 per hour; Ashley Thompson, special education aide, $11.79 per hour; and Barbara Roddy, MD aide, $15.91 per hour.
• Employed Ellen Jay as a substitute speech therapist at $155.88 per day on a one-year, as-needed contract.
• Employed Luke Dahlinghaus, substitute custodian, $12.72 per hour; Anthony Cardo, substitute custodian, $12.72 per hour; Rachel Minniear, substitute cook, $9.41 per hour, on one-year limited, as-needed contracts.
• Awarded supplemental contracts to Thomas Goffena, head baseball coach, $4,219; Lisa Beigle, classified substitute clerk, $727; Laura Pennington, certified substitute clerk, $6,387; Brett Bickel, academia adviser, $1,758; Allexis Davis, SHS yearbook adviser, $2,461; Chris Adams, band director, $8,121; Todd Bridges, assistant band director, $2,109; Joe Spangler, 12th-grade class adviser, $1,055; Kathy Inman, 12th-grade class adviser, $527; Annette Lochard, 12th-grade class adviser, $527; Kelly Walker, 11th-grade class adviser, $1,055; Megan Kistner, 11th-grade class adviser, $1,055; Stacey Goffena, ninth-grade class adviser, $527; Sara Olding, ninth-grade class adviser, $879; Brett Bickel, mock trail adviser, $1,406; Kelly Thorne, National Honor Society adviser, $1,846; Brett Bickel, student government adviser, $4,430; Kevin Turner, Sidney Middle School student council adviser, $1,661; Nish Golden, SMS student council adviser, $1,661; Shaun Dunlap, SMS yearbook adviser, $527; and Emily Hibbitts, SMS yearbook adviser, $352.
• Awarded supplemental contracts to T-school monitors at $26 per hour to Shauna Vordemark, Ruthie Baker, Megan Kistner, Stacey Goffena, Levi Hahn, Mary Ellen Buecher, Kelly Thorne, Maggi Williams, Mike Keiser, Joe Spangler and Sara Olding, all at SHS; Heather Davidson, Nish golden, Kevin Turner, Donna Jones, Wade New and Frank Hall, all at SMS; and Frank Guillozet at Sidney Alternative School.
• Approved the bus stop routes for the 2015-16 school year.
• Approved a date change for the Sept. 8 meeting to Aug. 31 at 6 p.m.
Reach the writer at 937-538-4822; follow her on Twitter @MelSpeicherSDN. Follow the SDN on Facebook, www.facebook.com/SidneyDailyNews.