NEW BREMEN — The New Bremen Historic Association’s William Luelleman House, 120 N. Main St., New Bremen, will soon receive a marker indicating its listing in the National Register of Historic Places. The project has been undertaken in cooperation with the Auglaize County Historical Society for the county’s 175th anniversary.
The Luelleman House has been included in the National Register since 1975. The Historical Society applied to the William G. Pomeroy Foundation, and was provided the funding necessary to cast the marker. The marker is currently in production by Sewah Studies, Marietta, Ohio, the company that also casts Ohio Historical Markers.
Constructed in 1837, the building is the oldest freestanding structure in New Bremen and an excellent, well-preserved example of the construction technique of lining a frame building with brick, a New World adaptation of the European wattle-and-daub method.
States county Historical Society Administrator Rachel Barber, “These markers will remind both local residents and many visitors about the important role that the settlement of German immigrants has played in the history of our county.”
The marker will be installed in front of the house in the tree lawn. No date has been set for the marker’s arrival or dedication. The Historical Society hopes to garner more such markers for other National Register buildings in Auglaize county, for the county’s 175th anniversary this year.
The William G. Pomeroy Foundation is a private institution based in Syracuse, New York. is committed to supporting the celebration and preservation of community history. The Pomeroy Foundation provides grants to obtain signage in the form of roadside markers and plaques. Since 2006, the organization has funded more than 1,200 signs across the United States, all the way to Alaska. It has grown to offer eight different marker programs.