November 10, 1896
Members of the congregation of the First Presbyterian Church held a reception at the church last evening for Rev. R. McCaslin in observance of the 30th anniversary of his pastorate at the church. Rev. McCaslin was extended a call to the Sidney church and he accepted on Oct. 15, 1866, and has served the church since that time. Information regarding the early history of the congregation was given by Mr. Taylor who secured it from Mrs. Elizabeth Fielding, the only surviving charter member of the church which was organized Sept. 4, 1825.
Telephone instruments were placed in the office and residence of S.L. Wicoff; the residence of I.H. Thiedick and the office of A.J. Hess this week.
November 10, 1921
What promises to be the biggest meeting of ex-soldiers ever held in Sidney will be held tomorrow evening in the Legion Club rooms in the Citizens National Bank building. At this meeting, plans will be finalized for the big celebration being planned for Armistice Day. Legion posts at Fort Loramie, Botkins and Jackson Center are cooperating with the Sidney Post for this observance.
Members of the Anthony Sherman Post, 587 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars have organized an athletic club for the purpose of staging good, clean, classy boxing contests during the winter at the armory. The first of these shows will be held the evening of Nov. 25.
During the past few days a number of large guide signs, with the name of Sidney on them, have been put up at many of the main cross roads throughout the county. The arrow-shaped signs point toward this city. They were put up under the direction of the Sidney Retail Merchants Association.
November 10, 1946
Forty-nine boys and girls in the seven Sidney schools will receive their awards from the hands of Fire Chief Kenneth Purnell, Saturday morning at ceremonies to be held in the fire department. They represent the winners from among more than 200 youthful entrants in a fire prevention coloring-book contest recently conducted in the first and second grades by local insurance firms.
Members of the Beta Delta chapter of the Beta Sigma Phi sorority formally pledged five Sidney young ladies at their meeting last evening. The group includes: Mrs. Don Thompson, Mrs. Frank Warbington, Mrs. Charles Williams, Misses Polly Slagle and Jeanette Reitz.
November 10, 1971
A Botkins native, Delbert Fullenkamp, has been named supervisor over five area L & K Restaurants.
Fullenkamp will supervise restaurants at Bellefontaine, Russells Point, Lima, Botkins and Sidney.
November 10, 1996
Sidney will be getting a new restaurant. C.J.’s High Marks plans to build in Sidney on West Michigan Avenue at the corner of Stolle Avenue. The company is based in Celina and has locations in Celina and Troy. The Sidney restaurant is to be approximately 7,000 square feet.
Local attorney Rodney Blake, Jr., appealed the jury verdict last year involving his former partners and their firm. The court of appeals affirmed the jury verdict, which awarded both sides minor damages.