SIDNEY — A chemical leak at the Sidney-Shelby County YMCA closed the facility Monday night. The Y reopened Tuesday with the exception of the pool which remains closed. Classes, program and Child Watch were closed until 3 p.m. Tuesday. The Child Development Center was closed Tuesday but will reopen Wednesday.
According to the Sidney Fire Department press release, at 7:22 pm on May 22, Sidney firefighters were dispatched to 300 E. Parkwood at the Sidney-Shelby County YMCA for a chemical reaction in the basement. The original call stated that the chemical was 10 ounces of Chlorine poured into a 40-gallon tank of Sulfuric Acid creating a chlorine gas in the basement.
Upon the Sidney Fire Department’s arrival, they found a large commercial building with no evacuation in progress. Crews made entry with a series of detectors and confirmed that there was an active chemical reaction in a labeled Sulfuric Acid container in the basement. Chlorine gas substance was emitting from the 40-gallon tank of Sulfuric Acid.
Crews assisted in the evacuation of the building. Firefighters and the Shelby County Hazmat team mitigated the situation with offloading the chemical into an over pack drum while conducting air monitoring throughout the building.
The building manager stated one of his personnel left the scene after evacuation and self-transported to Wilson Health ER for evaluation. No other injuries or illnesses were reported during the incident.
A box alarm was requested to recall all off-duty Sidney personnel, along with Shelby County Hazmat team, Anna Fire Department, Lockington Fire Department, Perry Port Salem Medic, Ohio EPA, Shelby County EMA, and Salvation Army were contacted for support.
The Sidney Police Department assisted in traffic control of the area.
The Y was closed the following day out of an abundance of caution.
“We appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding with this situation and send out a huge thank you to all the emergency personnel that helped in this situation,” said YMCA officials.