• The Wallace Family Learning and Innovation Center, 115 E. North St., Sidney, is open Monday-Friday from 1-5 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m.-noon.
• Packer Historical Center, 112 W. Main St., Anna, is open Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m.
• The Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum is honoring Coshocton’s advertising art history in a special exhibit, Advertising Art of Coshocton, through Dec. 31. The Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum is open Tuesday to Sunday from noon to 4 p.m. and Sundays are free admission to Coshocton County residents. The museum is located at 300 N. Whitewoman St., in Historic Roscoe Village, Coshocton, Ohio. For more information, contact JHM at 740-622-8710 / email: [email protected], or visit the website at www.jhmuseum.org.
• Martial arts classes teaching karate and jujitsu will be held for children aged 6 through adults at the Sidney-Shelby County YMCA. For days, times and cost, visit www.sidney-ymca.org.
• Kinetics classes are available at the Sidney-Shelby County YMCA and include: Mommy & Me; Pre-School Gymnastics; Youth Gymnastics; Pre-Team Gymnastics; Acrobatic Gymnastics; Cheerleading classes; Tumbling classes; and Competitive Gymnastics Team. For days, times and cost, visit www.sidney-ymca.org.
• Aquatics classes are available at the Sidney-Shelby County YMCA and include: Water Discovery/Exploration; Preschool Swim Lessons;Youth Swim Lessons; Competitive Swim Team; Adult Swim Lessons; and Private & Semi-private Lessons available. For days, times and cost, visit www.sidney-ymca.org.
• Homeschool Nature Club for 5 – 11 year-old homeschooled students at Brukner Nature Center for a morning or afternoon of discovery on the third Wednesday of the month. Classes in the morning are from 10 a.m.-noon and afternoon from 1-3 p.m. Cost for BNC Members: $5 per child each month and nonmembers: $8 per child each month. Registration is required and payment is non-refundable. Call Monday – Friday at 937-698-6493 or email [email protected]. For a list of topics and additional details, visit the website at http://www.bruknernaturecenter.com/home-school-programs.html.
• Brukner Nature Center’s featured monthly vendor is Steve and Marian Moeckel and their nest boxes and note cards. A percentage of all sales will be donated to the Brukner Nature Center.
• Haunted Woods at Brukner Nature Center – Ticket sales began Oct. 2. Haunted Woods is Saturday, Oct. 28. Rain date will be Sunday, Oct. 29. Trail guides will lead a group of 20 people along the gently rolling, luminary-lit trail, stopping at six stations along the way so you and your family can learn about the wild creatures of the night (bring your flashlights!). First available ticket for a trail time is 6 p.m. and they will fill each remaining slot every 10 minutes, with the last group leaving at 8 p.m. Estimated time on the trails is 50 minutes. Remember to dress for the weather. Presale tickets only. Call 937-698-6493 or email [email protected]; an email will be sent to you to confirm the date/time/number attending/amount due. You will not be able to add anyone the night of the event. Payment will be due within three days (cash or check is preferred but can accept credit card). Use the drop-box by the front door to leave payment if stopping by afterhours. If payment is not received within three days, the spot will open for another group; however, if mailing payment,let them know in case the mail delivery takes a bit longer. Cost is $5 per person for BNC members and $7 per person for nonmembers. Children ages 2 and under are free.
• Brukner Nature Center’s River’s Edge Explorers. Pre-registration is underway for the seasonal program designed for 12 – 17 year-old homeschooled students. Dates for the 2023-24 school year are Wednesday, March 6; and Wednesday, May 1 from 2–4 p.m. at the River’s Edge Wildlife Preserve – this is a drop-off program. Cost for BNC Members is $5 per child each month and nonmembers are $8 per child each month. Pre-register by calling 937-698-6493 or emailing [email protected]
THURSDAY, OCT. 26
• Area trick or treat nights are planned for Fort Loramie, 6:30-8 p.m.; Houston, 6-8 p.m.; Kettlersville, 6-7 p.m.; Lockington, 6-7 p.m.; Minster, 6:30-8 p.m.; Newport, 6:30-8 p.m.; Russia, 6-7:30 p.m.; and Elmwood in New Bremen, 6-8 p.m.
SATURDAY, OCT. 28-SATURDAY, NOV. 4
• Amos Memorial Public Library will hold its semi-annual book sale. Hours are Oct. 28, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.; Oct. 30-Nov. 3, 9 a.m.- 6 p.m.; and Nov. 4, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Items are 50 cents each. A gift basket will be given away.
SATURDAY, OCT. 28
• National Museum of the U.S. Air Force, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, will host a day of Air Sports demonstrations from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. on the museum grounds. The grounds will open at 7:30 a.m. for the free event and museum buildings will open for visiotrs at 9 a.m. Visitors are encouraged to bring a blanket or chairs. Visitors to the museum will see formation paramotor flying brought by the Airythmia Paramotor Demonstration Team, hot air balloons, radio-controlled aircraft, and a canopy formation parachute jump by Team Fastrax. This event is presented in conjunction with the National Aeronautic Association and the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI)/World Air Sports Federation.
• Greenville VFW Darke County Singles Dance, doors open at 6 p.m. with the dance from 8-11 p.m. Cover charge is $9 per person. The band will be Smithville South. Good will be available. There will be a 50/50 drawing, door prizes and instant tickets.
SUNDAY, OCT. 29
• Area trick or treat events are planned for Anna, 1-3 p.m.; Botkins, 2:30-4 p.m.; Jackson Center, 4-5:30 p.m.; New Bremen, 1-5 p.m.; and Versailles, 2-4 p.m.
• The Uniopolis Historical Society will present “From Uniopolis to The Chicago Tribune: The Long, and Influential Career of Carey Orr, Editorial Cartoonist” with Dr. Donald Eberle at 1 p.m. in the Uniopolis Fire House Meeting Room, State Route 67, Uniopolis. The program is free and open to the public and is offered in conjunction with Auglaize County’s 175th Anniversary and its autumn focus on artists-representing various media-from Auglaize County. The effort is titled “Fall into the Arts for the 175th!”
TUESDAY, OCT. 31
• Sidney will hold trick or treat from 6-7:30 p.m.